Thursday, December 1, 2011

Riley's Inner Nate Berkus


Need some entertainment??? Just come around when Riley gets on one of his home design kicks and starts spouting off words I would never imagine coming out of his mouth, using big hand gestures to help describe his "vision" and talking excitedly about his plans. He says words like "focal point" and "color pop" and last but certainly not least "splash of color." I'm usually dying laughing inside but don't want to stifle his creative powers at that moment. Lol! This doesn't happen too often but when it does I happily jump aboard the Nake Berkus train. Choo choo!!! Here is just a glimpse into the last couple of days. Forget work, we can't get our minds off of the house!!


Above you can see the assortment of sample paint colors I picked out after work on Wednesday. Again, I repeat "sample"....because nothing about those large jars looks like a sample to me. It's like a big waste of paint....especially when Mr. Nate did not like a single one of them. And I'll give him credit for turning up his nose at the green. It turned out more like a lime green which was not the direction I was headed. A friend on Facebook told me about an app for my iPhone so I spent the morning flipping through my new favorite addiction. It's like Pinterest but just home design, wall colors and decor. You can compile a "book" of your favorite images to refer back to. While browsing I happened to stumble upon my ultimate inspiration. FINALLY!! We've found the color!

If only our finsihed product could look this good!

Wednesday was not only a day spent dreaming of paint colors but we were also both rushing around making phone calls and meeting with the carpet/tile guy to take measurements and pick out colors and patterns. Decisions, decisions! I am thankful for Nate when it comes to this stuff because I could spend all day staring at tile and still not make a decision. We had our first visitors last night when Katie and Carmen stopped by. They spent some time listening to me brainstorm and giving some input. God bless them for listening to my nonsense babbling. Hallie was so not a happy camper as it was bedtime and she was exhausted after a long day of playing with her friends at daycare. I literally dreamed about painting last night. This afternoon brought about another quick trip to the paint store (this time sans Hallie Grace). I was sure I'd picked out our final samples and a couple jugs of white paint to begin our long journey of painting EVERY surface in the house. I got Nate's approval and a big thumbs up for these two new colors!


I spent part of late afternoon staring at the walls trying to wrap my mind around how we were going to tackle this monster called painting. I figured jumping right in was the way to go. I looked at the clock and was surprised to see that the evening had flown by and it was already time to head over to Nanny's for dinner and to squeeze my baby who I'd been missing all day. I had only painted one closet door, a window sill and about seven foot of baseboard. And that was just the first coat. After we enjoyed a delicious dinner cooked by Nanny, Riley was antsy to get over and start working on the house. Back to work we went.

So I'm sure you are probably wondering how Hallie Grace feels about all of this new stuff going on.....

"I'm game for anything"

The girl's a trooper. She's used to us changing things up every few months. That girl won't know what to do when we are settled. She loaded up her cup, binky and babydoll after getting dressed in her jammies and was the perfect little helper until 8:00 tonight. The little stinker kept us running by stealing our tape rolls and finding nice hiding spots. She made sure to feed her baby a bottle before bed tonight which just melted my heart into a little puddle. :)

Nate and I have a big job ahead but lots of incentive to finish. Not only do I insist on my girl spending Christmas in our home but now Gman has asked if we could have our traditional Christmas Eve family time at my house this year to change things up a bit. I was delighted!! Even more motivation! If you get the itch to come help paint don't hesitate...we pay in pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment