Sunday, November 20, 2011

Oh Deer!

Can anyone tell me when spa season starts???? Oh wait, you are telling me that there isn't a long period of time where women everywhere can leave the house at the crack of dawn and stay gone all day long because "it's spa season"??? It doesn't exist??? Darn it! Wouldn't that be spectular is women could tell their husbands "but babe, this week is massage season and next week starts facial season....so I've got to go now while it lasts." And what if you could buy a new fall/winter wardrobe equivalent to the amount they spend on their hunting wardrobe?? Oh wouldn't that be grand! For as long as I live, til I'm old and gray, I will never understand the appeal of hunting. You won't ever catch me out in a deer stand or one of those huts covered in camo waiting for a big ten pointer to make his way in front of my rifle. Heck, I would never own a rifle let alone shoot it. I guess you could call me a pansy when it comes down to it. Guns scare the living bejeesus out of me! But in the proper hands I guess it can result in a nice morning out of the farm......


Riley's 8 point buck

Obviously my hunting terminology is a little rough so bare with me. Let's see here....what does one need to be a good hunter/huntress?? Well it appears you need patience, the ability to be quiet and good accuracy. That counts me out!! But I can be a good cheerleader after the being quiet rule is over. And I can sure as heck be a good deer photographer......
I told him to "stop squinting!" and this is what I got. ;)


Miss pretty pretty princess got her first exposure to the hunting life this weekend. She avoided Uncle Luke's deer hanging from the ceiling yesterday as she waltzed right by it. Today she had no choice but to get up close and personal with Bambi's daddy. Riley was thrilled to nab his buck for the season early Sunday morning. He couldn't wait for us to get out of church so that he could show off this big guy.....

"You stickin' your tongue out at me deer?!"

Hallie wanted nothing to do with the creature sitting next to her for a couple minutes. That is until she got ahold of his ear and found out that it was nice and floppy....

"Can we take him inside dad?"

"It's a mounter for sure!!!"

I guess in the end it was all worth it.....all of the early mornings, late nights, not seeing Riley very much on the weekends, answering the age old question "does this have my scent on it?" about a million times, seeing the disappointment on his face when he came home with no deer and constantly having to hear "but babe, it's hunting season".....all worth it to have a happy man's man who shot himself a deer.

But the hunting isn't done yet...he still has Bambi's momma to hunt down. And as I type this he is on his way to the taxidermist to drop off big daddy's head. The best part is that he now has another office at work to fill with deer heads! Which means my living room wall might just end up deer head free!!

Stay tuned...I'm sure in several years Hallie will be toting her pink rifle to the woods with her daddy.....

Oh deer!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment