Monday, October 31, 2011

When Life Hands You Lemons...

......make lemonade. Well what did you think I was going to say?? ;)

Ok, you know we too well. What I would like to say is something like this:

When life hands you lemons, throw them on the ground and stomp on them until you have a nice big pile of sticky lemon juice. ;)

Last week was another one of those that I'd just rather forget. Is is sad that not having time to blog makes me kind of antsy inside? Yeah, I though so. ;) Monday came and went and was surprisingly less Monday-ish than normal. Tuesday was a day I was looking forward to....it turned out to be one giant headache. After an unexpected visit from the gas company telling me that they had to fix a line and shut my gas off for the day. Bummer considering Tuesday is my baking day. Eh, I could live with cutting out the baking as long as I could blog during Hallie's naptime. Or so I thought. There was a knock at the door just ten minutes later....yep, you guessed it. The gas company telling me that they accidentally cut our phone line. Awesome. No phone line = no internet. They had managed to steal my very essence in ten short minutes. So in the big scheme of things it was no big deal at all.....except for the fact that I would have to make the dreaded AT&T phone call. :/ Hallie and I spent our day playing, sleeping and jogging. We decided to take a jog over to the new house because I wanted to try out our new jogging grounds. It was a nice change of scenery and I was excited to see that the running trail went further than I thought they did.





Tuesday = Laundry day.....

"I hope she sorts first"


We got to make a visit to Gman at work as he drove through town. Although we only had time for a quick trip to Sonic it was well worth it seeing her smile at her Gman.....

"Let's make this a habit!"

We stayed out and about and visited another special guy. DADA! Hallie helped him do some office organization while I used his computer to print some stuff off. Which reminds me of another home malfunction that's driving me crazy...the printer won't work unless the internet is on. But it worked out well because Hallie made sure to Feng Shui her dada's office to make it more zen-like....

She's meditating here

Long story short, I finally had the gas turned back on but still lacked internet. That would have to wait until the next day. Speaking of the next day....it sucked. Like really bad. I woke up with one of those yucky feelings deep in the pit of my stomach like the day was not going to go well. Mid-morning I got a phone call from my Aunt DeeDee saying that my grandma had been taken to the hospital after the home health nurse called to say that she was sounding strange on the phone. Ya see, I was actually supposed to go start physical therapy on her that day. DeeDee went over to check on her and found her looking slumped in her chair and not responding to her. After a few hours spent at the local hospital they determined that she needed to have a tube placed to help her breath. She was then mediflighted from Shattuck to St. Mary's in Enid where family was waiting to see her. Hallie and I would soon be on our way but not before knocking out a few obstacles along our journey to Enid. I was in a tizzy to say the least and really missing my mom at this point....she would've been the one calming me down telling me that everything was going to be okay. Me, my spinning head and my little girl made a stop by the nursing home where I do some work on our way through Mooreland to finish up some paperwork. She was a BIG help. The parallel bars and stairs were like a mini playground for her. But she surprisingly preferred to sit on the desk and eat office items....

Cutest tape dispenser I ever did see

Once we finally arrived at the hospital I left Hal with her many fans waiting in the ICU waiting area. Grandma was not looking good when I went to see her. She was on the ventilator and was only able to blink a couple of times. I felt so sorry for sweet, sweet Meme. I caught the tail end of a conversation between the doctor, Lana and David....his words were "I think everything is going to be okay." Big sigh of relief considering I had been imagining something so much worse all day long. If I'm being honest I think that our family has had to spend more than our fair share of time in ICU waiting areas crying and being scared. Hallie was a little light that shone on the somberness in the waiting room.....

"Don't worry...be happy y'all"

Pauline and Presley popped in and surprised me when they came around the corner. I had no idea they were making the trip down from Missouri. It was a sweet surprise. Hallie of course had hugs and smiles for them....



Lana, David, Lisa, Dara, Gman, Bailey and Spencer rounded out our group.


 Hal gal had a grand ol time learning new words, pushing on the pop machine and playing the drums with Aunt Lisa.....

She sure knows how to liven up a waiting room!


"Let's all just take a deep breath, okay?"

Thursday came and went which meant Friday was upon us. Friday always gives me a little extra power boost knowing that I don't have to deal with the stress of work on top of everything else going on last week. After work Hal and I took another trip to Enid to visit Meme. She was now off the ventilator and able to talk a bit. We stopped by Gman's house to pick him up, as well as some dinner, and finally made our way up to find a waiting room full of family. Of course Hallie wasn't able to go back to the ICU but I took a video of her in the waiting room and showed it to grandma. It was so relieving to see her smile and hear her chuckle....and she even found enough energy to make a few jokes. Lana, DeeDee and I were stifling our laughter after grandma told us it looked like we were playing a game of charades while trying to guess what she was saying...or more like whispering through her bi-pap machine. While I was able to spend some time with her Hallie was being entertained in the waiting room......




I just couldn't handle how cute her owl outifit was so of course I snapped a picture before we left the house earlier that day....
"Whoo whoo!"

I was so surprised to run into my friend, Bev, whom I hadn't seen in way too long. She just so happened to be visiting her grandma in the hospital too. Lots of hugs and chit chat later, she left and I decided it was time to head home. We stayed later than I'd planned and got to bed much later than I'd hoped. I'm sure Hallie enjoyed the car ride back just about as much as I did. This is how she left the hospital.....

"I promise I didn't pee"

I promise too. Only one pair of jammies and her water cup had leaked all over them in her bag. Note to self: bring two of EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE!

I was thankful to end a solumn week on a happier note. Grandma still has a long road of recovery ahead of her. Physically she needs a lot of improvement to be able to get back home and function on her own...and I'll be there with my ankle weights at her doorstep when she gets to go home.....get ready grandma, I'm going to therapize you like crazy! Everyday is precious. Everyday is meaningful. Time is not to be wasted. It's to be spent with the ones that you love doing things that show them just now much you love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment