Monday, October 3, 2011

30 Years of Love

I'm pretty sure my dad would kill me if he knew I was writing this post. First of all, because he will tell me that I've given him yet another reason to cry. He would say that I'm making it hard to not let a few tears fall while reading this. Second of all, he would say that I was being too kind and he didn't deserve all of these words I'm about to write about what an amazing husband he was. But despite all of that, I'm going to write it anyway. Because he deserves it.

How many men out there do you know that would stand by a women through 20+ years of illness, surgery after surgery, a heart transplant and medical bills piled higher than the eye could see? I'm proud to call one of those men my father. Because of this, I'd have to say that they are both my heroes. For too many reasons to count. I cannot even imagine placing myself in their shoes....walking the roads that they went down. When I think about all of the whining I've done about our recent transition and the changes we've faced I can't help but try to imagine what it would be like to walk a mile in their shoes. All the while they were the perfect example of what a marraige should be. I can't recall a single time, not even one, where they raised their voice at eachother. Are you kidding me?!? I need to know the secret. ;) They shared a sense of humor that went together like a hand and a glove. Dad was the funny one....and mom tried her best to be like him in that department. Tried is the key word. Dad had his pet names for my mom that she didn't care for so much. He loved to call her these just to get a rise out of her. "Beb" was her favorite. I remember my dad being in his extra goofy moods on Saturday mornings. Mom would be making breakfast for us and he would waltz in singing some stupid song he'd made up or doing a riduculous dance. Mom would always say without fail "Your dad's gone nuts!" Mom and Dad had this funny way of balancing eachother out. For all of the worry my dad had, my mom was Mrs. cool, calm and collected on the other end of the spectrum. They loved the same silly tv shows, they had their Friday night ritual of going to the grocery store together so that they could talk about the "regulars" who shopped there on the same night. My dad was my mom's taste tester for new recipes she was always coming up with. What a good cook she was! Dad, have you been eating well? I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on him for ya, mom.

I've never seen two harder working people who came home at the end of the day in good spirits with enough energy left over to cook and do housework. That's includes my good ol' Daddio too. He wasn't like your ordinary man....nope, not at all. He was in the kitchen doing dishes, hanging and folding laundry, cleaning the bathrooms, cooking dinner and helping us girls with our homework and cleaning our rooms when we'd let them get out of control (that was mostly Bailey though, lol). He treated her like a queen in my eyes.

Dad always wanted to find himself a Texas girl so he was persistent. And he sure did find a good one.....


Man how I wish I could watch them grow old together, see them at my sister's wedding together, watch them welcome more grandbabies into this world together, celebrate a golden anniversary..... So many things that won't ever be the same again. But the memories stay put......




Mom and dad going on mom's first "walk" after coming home from her transplant


The love that he had for mom spilled over for his other two girls as well.......



Mom made it home from the hospital in time for Valentine's Day

They still held hands any chance they got. I remember one of my mom's favorite things to do was to bring my attention to her giving him a big ol' kiss. My response would always be the same: "GROSS!" They sure did know how to bring romance into every occasion......


Just taking a romantic hospital stroll

They were spectacular when they teamed up as Grammy & Gman. Always trying to come up with any excuse to come visit us on the weekends so they could hold their new grandbaby.....





Mom and Dad, you truly are in inspiration to me and a daily reminder of how to love, how to respect and how to have faith.....

30 Years

There is a small chalk board hanging on the wall of their garage. They used to write silly notes back and forth to one another on it so that when they would pull in the garage at the end of the day the note would be waiting there. The chalk board is still hanging and it now reads: "Thanks for all the wonderful years babe. I'd do it all over again if given the chance."

That's the kind of love they had.

"God gave me you for the ups and downs,
           God gave me you for the days of doubt,
                     For when I think I've lost my way
                             There are no words here left to say
                                        it's true God gave me you."

2 comments:

  1. You really have a gift with words Ashley! I am teared up now too :) How incredibly blessed you are to have that kind of example to follow! Happy anniversary to your parents! I bet your mom was celebrating big for both of them!

    ReplyDelete