Monday, October 17, 2011

A warm-welcomed weekend

Ever have one of those weeks that you don't even have to worry about forgetting because it flew by so fast anyways as you were trying to hold onto your pants? Whew! This past week was a doozy that knocked my socks off....I could not have been more ready for the weekend. At least that's what I thought as I dragged myself out of bed Friday morning for a ridiculous day of work. It measured up to my expectations too....horrible, terrible, no good for nothin' kinda day. As I drove from town to town with my mind spinning I kept imagining myself posting up on the big brown chair in my favorite sweatpants and watching a good movie. We had watched Horrible Bosses earlier in the week and I was less than impressed. Now I think it may have been my sour attitude that kept me from laughing because the rest of the fam seemed to be big fans of it. Movie, pizza and sweatpants?? Not so much. Instead I got last minute dinner plans with a physician prospect and some other employees of the hospital. I really like Riley's coworkers but I really dislike last minute plans and schmoozy dinners. Even better was the fact that I walked in the door to a sweet baby who just wanted nothing more than to play with her momma, Riley was walking out the door to head to dinner, Nanny was being the saint she always is and feeding Hallie her dinner since it was already 6:00, the babysitter and her brother had already arrived, I realized I had absolutely no idea what I was going to wear and couldn't remember how Riley was dressed.....at that moment I needed a drink, a room with padded walls and a box of Kleenex. Luckily we did find a babysitter last minute. Riley's boss's daughter, Maddie, took us up on the babysitting offer and brought brother Daniel with her for moral support. I hear the three of them had a fine time....Daniel kept the chair warm watching cartoons while Maddie and Hallie played with her toys. Dinner flew by and I was able to finally sit down and take a deep breath....being able to chat it up with my friend Kelly made things all better. After dinner I arrived home to find a wide awake Hallie who knew what she was doing and had waited on her momma to get home for some playtime. She was so happy playing with Maddie in her room but came flying around the corner when she heard my voice. Oh how I had missed that girl all day. I sound pathetic not being able to be away from her for that long but golly gee, she makes me smile. After Riley put baby girl to bed I took off for a late night walk with Kelly. We had a great time talking, the weather was perfect and we only peed our pants twice....a chihuahua and a German Shepherd can be thanked for scaring the pants off of us in the dark. Riley was so pleased with my desire to do paperwork all evening while he relaxed. Wait, did I say desire? Ok, I meant necessity. Holy paperwork! I have never been so far behind in my life. I like the feeling of having everything completed and up-to-date when the weekend starts and I was giving it my best attempt to catch up so that I could have a clean slate on Saturday morning. Well wishful thinking because I went to bed with the same huge pile staring at me. Sleep. Yes, we needed sleep.

Saturday morning was full of cartoons and playtime with Hallie while Riley went to get some work done at his office. What is happening to us???? Since when do we do work on the weekends???? You can probably sense that I'm not a fan of this business at all! We must change this ASAP! Monday-Friday. Period. Hallie and I had a peaceful Walmart shopping trip. Yes, you just saw peaceful and Walmart together in the same sentence. Turns out the best time to shop is around 8:30 on a Saturday morning. Hallie couldn't have been in a better mood and was a great shopping buddy. She was a bit ticked off though when we walked over to get some "nanas".

"This is so not cool..."

She made sure to pick up her favorite items from the shelves as she rode by...

 
"We need some of this!"

Back at home we revved up the motor in her pink convertible with the top down....

She's got the driving thing down


"I promise I'll be home before midnight mom"

My silly goose

I tagged Riley in as I hurried out the door to start my drive to Enid for a day of bridal fun. Us girls had a perfect afternoon at The Bridal Shop...you can read all about it here. I didn't make any extra stops while in Enid because I was ready to get home to my babies and my dad was out of town for the day anyway. Riley and Hallie didn't miss me a bit though as they had a day filled with farm time and fun. I hear that she had a blast hanging out the window of the farm truck hollering loudly at the cows and banging on the side of the truck. Once they came closer to see what the ruckus was she freaked out and pulled herself back in the truck. Riley tells me that she was practicing her best "mooing" along with her big brown friends. We spent Saturday evening doing some of this and a little bit of that...and of course some playing. This is what it looks like when you combine playing with cooking..... 

Exhausted after she helped me "organize" the measuring cup drawer

Had to stop for a "nana" snack

While I finished up dinner I was thoroughly entertained by Hallie's incessant banging on the door to the garage and yelling "dada" repeatedly. The look on her face everytime she sees Riley is just priceless. Especially when he's doing something she considers fun. Revving up the ol' Stang = fun.....
This picture is the epitome of how she feels about him

On top of the world


Can time please slow down? Those pictures make me just as sad as they make me happy. She's turning into a little lady right before our eyes. That same little daddy's girl, tomboy, mustang drivin' chick transformed into a pretty lady in animal print the very next morning. I could not wait to dress her up in her new tutu and bow from great aunt Alta....

In love with this tutu!




Riley caught the hunting bug about two weeks ago and left early Sunday morning to set up camp in a deer stand with his bow. Hallie and I were up early and had a very productive Sunday morning. A yummy scrambled egg breakfast (I've finally convinced her that they are yummy!), a trip to the office to get a few work tasks done and we were off to church. God reminded me yet again of his supreme awesomeness and provided the perfect sermon for the end of a very trying week. I left church refreshed and full of pep to take on the day. Hallie was full of the same pep so we put our pep to good use and did some baking in between watching cartoons.....

"Mom, you finish the recipe without me....my show is almost to the best part."

The little stinker seemed genuinely interested in this cute little show called "Olivia"....

"Need any help in there? Ok, good, I'm kinda into this show"

Our baking was complete, lunch was fed and we were itching for some outdoor fun. How do you make a momma, a baby and a dog happy all at once??? A walk, of course. Hallie seems to enjoy our walks with Emmi much better than walks sans "dah" (that is Hallie's version of the word dog, if you were wondering). She likes to be involved in the walking process which makes me wish she was big enough to hand over the reins to her....after all, Emmi comes close to driving me batty with her need to wrap her leash in the stroller wheel every couple minutes. Here's Hallie trying to do her best with "walking" her friend....

"I got this mom....you can let go now"
Hallie was on the lookout for her dad as we had some "nakey time" on the back porch. And by "we" I mean Hallie. A bad case of diaper rash is the fastest ticket to a diaperless afternoon outdoors....

"Ya think they arrest babies for indecent exposure?"

My naked hitchhiker ended up running out of gas and pushing her car backwards. Somehow she managed to do this while wrapped in the dog leash....


Little smarty no pants was trying her best to hook the leash onto Emmi's collar to take her for a walk. Riley helped a bit with the leash hooking and we watched and almost died laughing as she tried her best to control her wild doggy....

"Ok Em, we are both going to need to do some untangling before we get started here..."

"Why are you not taking this seriously? I am a foot taller than you, ya know!?"

"Is this a joke?"

Offended by Emmi's unwillingness to participate she stepped outside of the box and into her car....

"Let's try this....."

"Ya ready back there???"

She gave us plenty of laughs that afternoon. But soon laughs turned into yawns. Riley and Hallie rested their pretty heads while I took a nice run on the cemetery hills and did some blogging. Ah, finally some relaxation. After the two happy nappers woke up well rested, we did some impromptu house hunting around town. It wasn't like our usual hunts where we head back home completely discouraged. Yesterday we spotted a house new to the market that had some potential. I'd call this hunt a success. ;) We headed straight from our surprisingly pleasant hour long car ride over to Nanny and Papa's for a fish fry with Luke, Katie and Carmen. The weather was beautiful and perfect for the babes to be outdoors. The backyard is Hallie's domain and she isn't afraid to explore every bit of it....

Nanny's girl

With a little bit of help of course....


She's got this figured out

The exploring was over and it was high time she try out her mini folding chair. The "tot spot"....

You know the best part about stacking blocks with Nanny??
Dumping them out, of course

"When can we dump them out again?"

Aunt Kylie stopped by to love on her nieces before she headed back to Stillwater for the week. We were blessed by the cooking talents of Luke...it's always a good night when he's behind the grill...or the frying station in this case.....
The fish fryer

The french fries, fish and hush puppies mysteriously vanished as he fried away. It all smelled so good we all couldn't resist sneaking some food.
Heart attack hush puppies = so worth it!

Miss Carmen Jo was a happy girl hanging out in her favorite position.....

Facing out to see what's going on

On mommy's shoulder

Dinner was oh so delicious and dessert was just as good. Hallie sat in her chair on the floor beside us and fed her variety of foods to the dog. My little fruit lover ended up being satisfied by a can of peaches after turning her nose up at fish and macaroni salad. With full bellies we were unexpectedly entertained by a piano duet from Hallie and Papa. Funny thing was, she looked like she really knew what she was doing.
"I should think about getting a tip jar soon"

The musically talented tot was sawing logs shortly after we got home Sunday night. Riley and I decided on an early bedtime too...must've been the fried food coma we were in. Oh yeah and the chocolate cake and pumpkin dessert on top of that! Good thing we got an extra hour of sleep because Monday proved to be a beast of a day. I have a good feeling that this next weekend will also receive a very warm welcome from the Fanning crew by the time it gets here! Hallie went to bed tonight with a slight fever most likely from teething. Either that or she literally played so much at daycare that it made her sick. I want to finish this post on a good note though so here it goes: we looked at a house tonight with our realtor and I think I'm in love.









No comments:

Post a Comment