Friday, April 8, 2011

A Heavenly Birthday


I am not sure what happens on a birthday in heaven, but I have a picture in my mind. Almost too awesome to comprehend. Momma, today is your day. In heaven and on earth. To say that we miss you would not do this feeling justice. I guess I don't need to tell you how we celebrated today because I know you were right there with us. But I will write it down so that we can remember it. :) Our party down here didn't even compare to the party that God threw for you today. I know you felt more special than we could have ever made you feel and you felt better than any birthday that you spent here with us. But that didn't stop us from trying. :)

We gathered at the house and ate dinner and some of Bailey's yummy cake....

Yes mother, Bailey baked something!!!! And it tasted good! You would have been so proud of her. We watched as Dad obsessively filled balloons and recounted them to make sure we had the correct number. 53 to be exact! For each year of your precious life. As he would pop one we would laugh and watch as he hurriedly filled another and tied the string on. At one point I looked at my watch and jokingly reminded him it would be getting dark soon. But you know dad, he kept filling balloons. ;) We carefully tucked all 53 balloons in the back of Lana's truck and we were off to come and visit you. I made sure to dress your favorite baby in her finest party attire...polka dots seemed appropriate to celebrate your birthday! Trust me, she would have put a huge smile on your face! Heather joined us that night would have definitely had you laughing....


Aunt Alta joined in on the fun too.....oh yeah, and that rat dog of Aunt B's that kept you busy....

Can't forget Uncle Dave (little brother) and Aunt Lana (big sister)....Lisa stopped by to write you a message for the balloons as well...


And last but definitely not least, Dara made her way from Cherokee to give us some comic relief.....


She and Hallie hit it off as usual



We laughed, sang, cried, and finally let our balloons go on the count of three. I hope you enjoyed reading each message and your favorite comic strips that dad has been collecting for you. I'm sure you got a good laugh out of them but I have a feeling that God was a better sport about reading the ones you thought were funny and laughing along with you than I would have been. I bet you were showing off your signature laugh for everyone up there. Hope they covered their ears! ;) Just kidding, I would give anything to hear that laugh one more time. I wish there was enough helium in those balloons to bring me up for a visit.....

Dara tried :)

Gman made a special baby pink balloon for Hallie Grace to let go. She did a great job of holding on with a little help letting go.


What a sight to see!


A couple got stuck in the tree...so guess what dad did....of course he threw a rake fifteen feet up in the tree over and over until he finally gave up. That didn't deter your favorite brother from shaking the tree vigorously to try to free the balloons held hostage. No luck! I hope they didn't have notes in them!

I think it's safe to say that we started a tradition on your birthday.....

Spencer, Bailey, Alta, Dad, Me, David, Dara, Hallie, Riley, Lana

Of couse Gman had his handy watering can ready and Hallie wanted to lend a hand and give him the night off from watering the grass....






Momma, I wish I could have seen your face as you opened up your birthday gifts this year...I have a feeling that this year would have blown your socks off. Mr. Sam Bradford just got even cooler in my book after I read the special message that was sent to you my dear. My oh my, did you have some stellar work friends who wanted to get you something extra special for your birthday! So here's the deal. Your friends wrote a letter to the "Desk of Sam Bradford" requesting an autographed picture for your birthday. Instead they received a personalized Happy 53rd Birthday letter thanking you for your support.....


And then there's dads gift to you....WOW! I wish FedEx went up to heaven because you need to see this!!




Yeah, he did. :) I came across this old Facebook comment from dad about your obsession with Sam..."Luv ya Beb,even though you care more for Sam Bradford than me! Maybe when I build my abs up I can win you over again!"

This overflowing list of Sam comments on your Facebook may have prompted Dad's above comment:

  • I did just vote for Sam Bradford to be Rookie of the Week.
  • Just purchased a Rams t-shirt with Bradford on the back. I'll be the best dressed person watching football next Sunday.
  • what a great anniversary gift. Larry got me a massage and Sam Bradford won a game for me. Couldn't get any better.
  • Sam is my hero. His team won again today!!!
  • At this time tomorrow night I will be watching Sam Bradford playing football!! I can't wait! 

Although I spend most of my time these days in a lovely state of denial there are those moments that really get to me. Most of all, I miss having you to talk to. For a couple weeks after you were gone, I picked up my phone to call you everyday. I want Hallie to know you...I mean really know you. Obviously I have a bazillion pictures of you and so many posts full of a grandmother's love on the blog, but I'm still not satisfied. I want Hallie to be able to understand just how much you loved her...and when she is my age, I want her to feel like she knew her grandmother. You know me momma, when something is bothering me I can't let it go until I come up with a solution. My solution: show her just how much you loved her.

Hallie girl, these are some of Grammy's numerous posts on Facebook about you...oh heck, almost all of her posts were about you.....

  • Hallie came to see me today, so it has been a good day
  • CMV making me very sick today. It better not ruin my plans to see Hallie this weekend or else.
  • Going to Mustang today to see my favorite baby
  • Got to see Hallie yesterday!!! I'm good for another week
  • Getting excited! I get to see Hallie tomorrow.
  • Spent the day with Hallie. It was great!!!!
  • It is impossible for me to enter the baby section of a store without buying my baby Hallie something? This could get serious.
  • Thank you Ashley. I love the picture of her here, but then again I love them all!!!
  • I got to see Hallie yesterday and she was awake. She is such a cutie!!
  • Much better day today. I got good news from my kidney doctor and I got to see my baby Hallie!!
  • Had a great evening with Hallie. I do believe she likes me best!!
  • This has got to be a better day. I get to see baby Hallie!!
  • I got to see baby Hallie again last night. I'm so tired today I can't stand it. She is already wearing me out, but it's worth it.
I could go on and on....


HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMA!!! The imprint you left on this earth as a mother, wife, grandmother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin is far-reaching and not to be forgotten. Don't be surprised if you get some more "packages" before 364 days have passed...this balloon stuff is the new UPS for heaven! Too bad I can't shove Hallie in a balloon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment