Tuesday, September 7, 2010

You Know You Are Growing Up When....

We took our first shopping outting together as a family yesterday. And of course, we went to Riley's second home...Lowes. Hallie had a good 'ol time...sleeping, that is. She couldn't care less about picking out fall foliage, door mats, and deep freezers. After staring at every size and color of mums they had for about 10 hours, we made the grueling decision to not buy any flowers because we just kill everything anyways. Next on to the appliances. Normally purchasing appliances is an annoying expense that I would rather spend at a shopping mall...but yesterday I was thrilled to pick out a deep freezer. I think it's because the purpose of having it is solely for Hallie. I need a place to store milk for her...I want to be able to save up enough to last for quite some time. That is if I can keep up with the little chunkers demand and save some in the process. This little lady ate almost constantly from 8 oclock to 11 oclock last night. We decided to give her a big 'ol bottle before bed to make sure her belly was nice and full. So in my optimistic mind, I made a prediction to Riley that she would sleep from 10 to 4. So when we finally fell asleep at 11:30 and woke back up at 1:15, I was very disappointed. My plan backfired and I am now open for suggestions!!!

"Hi!"

Yesterday afternoon was uneventful, unless you count laundry and dishes. At one point I decided to try out Hallie's carrier so I could strap  her to the front of me in order to get chores accomplished. She made it crystal clear to us that she did not enjoy her ride in the carrier. At one point I walked outside where Riley was and hollered into the street, "anyone want a free baby, she's brand new, clean, any takers??!" Turns out she just didn't want to do chores...she would much rather sit and watch reruns of Cake Boss. Riley spent the afternoon organizing the garage and making room for the freezer and fretting about how cluttered the garage looked. It couldn't possibly be the twenty license plates, frames, flags and posters that cover the walls. No.  He is trying to make a case to buy a shed. I'm already sold...whatever keeps him happy. And we need a place to put the lasest toy/project....

Notice the beautiful doves so delicately placed on the back of the truck. You know you want to buy it from us!!!

Hallie and I managed to squeeze in an hour long nap right before watching The Bachelor Pad. Riley loves to sit and make fun of my shows...he likes to pretend that he is the host of the show. He does a pretty spot on Chris Harrison (host of the Bachelor) impression. "Up next, on The Bachelor...the MOST DRAMATIC rose ceremony ever."

Last night, we did exactly what Americans are supposed to do on Labor Day...duh, grill out. So Riley grilled some steaks. He someone always cooks them so they melt in your mouth. Yum! We had a peaceful dinner together with a sleeping Hallie in her swing...



She started to get fussy after her nap and Riley left her on the ottoman on her stomach to run into her room and grab a different blanket to wrap her up in....he returned to find her on her back. I'm sure it was just a fluke because she isn't supposed to be capable of rolling over for quite some time. But we can just pretend that she has extra special abilities. Super Hallie!!!!!



I have devised a sleep rating scale for Hallie girl. Very scientific. 0-10 scale (0 being no sleep at all, 10 being the best sleep we've ever had). Every day Hallie will receive a rating on the Hallie Sleeping Scale (HSS). Based on last night she gets a whopping 1. The good news is, there is nowhere to go but up! Surprisingly we are functioning very well on a 1. We are both bathed and ready to head out the door. We also took our morning stroll with Emmi but we had to cut our course short and walk in tiny circles around the block because the clouds were threatening rain. Now that would have been a story to tell....Mom, baby, and dog one mile from home in the pouring rain.

Hallie's Corner

Hey grown-ups! I am 6 weeks old today! I am lovin' life. I can do a cool trick....I learned how to keep my binky in my mouth by pushing on it with my hand. A lot easier. Man, I'm smart. Yesterday I had a boring day at home. Oh wait, I forgot, we took a family outting. I slept the whole time. Dad said that if I slept that good at Lowes, then him and mom wanted to come sleep at there at night. Mom and Dad made such an amateur parenting mistake yesterday....they told the salesman that they would take the deep freezer home in the Murano because they planned on folding the seats down.....HELLO!!!!....you have a baby now. Did you forget about me???? Hallie Grace, your baby. Ring a bell? My car seat is in the back seat! Geez! So dad had to bring the truck to pick it up. I was starving last night and I couldn't stop eating. I had the munchies.

Disclaimer: this is not our baby...we won't lodge her head in the fridge until she is at least 6 months. :)

We have been going non-stop today. Mom took me with her to her 6 week follow-up appointment (whatever that means). I woke up and was super hungry while mom and I were waiting in the doctor's office. They didn't have any good reading material to keep me occupied (only a Parenting magazine that was 2 years old...I told mom she probably needed to read that one and learn a thing or two.) so mom fed me a bottle. That hit the spot. I met the doctor who delivered me...she said I had a pretty smile! I only smile in my sleep...when I'm having a really good dream. This particular time I was dreaming about swimming in a pool of milk. I heard the doctor tell mom, "you make this pregnancy stuff look easy." That must mean she is doing ok. We loaded back up in the car and were on our way to the next stop. The bank. That place was boring. And cold. The next place we went was like heaven for babies. I guess that's why they call it Babies R us. Best. Place. Ever. I wanted everything in the store. Mom only bought me the boring stuff though. Like diapers, wipes, bottles, more bath towels. Boring. Come on ma, let's go to the toy aisle. Mom said that two baskets full of stuff was enough for one day. Our last stop was at Jamba Juice so mom could get a smoothie. I remember going there all the time when I was in mom's belly...at least twice a week. :) She didn't even ask me what my flavor preference was. So selfish. But I love her. Now we are back at home and I just finished my gallon of milk and I'm ready for the sleep demons to take me away. Here they come....

"Mom, set the DVR to record my shows while I'm sleeping. Thanks"




Dear Babies R Us,
             Why do your customers have to have a baby bump to have preferential parking....does a baby carrier and two baskets of merchandise count??

Those were the days. Lol.

I ask that you please give some serious consideration to creating a "NEW MOTHER'S RESERVED PARKING" spot for new moms who haven't got the hang of pushing two baskets with the baby carrier in one, and for those who are 5 foot nothin' inches tall and can't see over the baby carrier and could possibly be ramming the basket into another person or a car at any moment, and lastly those who look like they haven't slept in weeks and don't have the energy to walk to the back of the parking lot dragging much needed baby gear. We still don't have it all together. Parking for beginners. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Ashley Fanning (New Mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment