Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dressing Baby 101


This morning has given me quite a few giggles.

#1: Hallie woke up at 5 in the a.m. and was ready to tackle her day. I, on the other hand, didn't even have the energy to tackle a fly. I went back for a lovely 2 hour snooze once Riley got out of bed. After emerging from the bedroom, I realized that Riley had dressed Hallie. You are probably thinking, "yeah, so what?" Well this only happens on the weekends when he's home for her morning routine and I always forget how much laughter it brings to see what he has picked out for her to wear. He does a very good job; I just really get a kick out of seeing what he thinks looks cute. She was dressed in her pink sweat pants (that I had forgotten she even had) and a cute ruffled pink top that matched in color perfectly. + 2 points for matching. -2 points for putting her top on backwards. She didn't seem to mind though. What she did mind was when he put her little bloomers on her head instead of her butt...


#2: It was Riley's turn to change Hallie's diaper by rule. The rule states: he/she whom laid hands upon baby last must do the dirty work. That's Riley's rule and his favorite thing to do is bring her to me right after she does her business and wait for me to discover it and he'll say "oh, you touched her last!" Now that we have the rules established.... so he changes her diaper and they return to the chair to sit down. She is extra squirmy and he is trying to figure out what is wrong. Well, let's see if you can spot the problem....

-2 points for Mermaid pants

#3: We had settled in to watch St. Luke's Methodist church service on TV. I decided that we could have "practice" church service to prepare for our return to church with the baby next Sunday. The doctor says 2 months of age is an okay time to return to large crowds who may want to ooh and aaahh over the baby. So I'm imagining constant screaming and squirming and basically Riley or I standing in the foyer calming her down the entire sermon. +2 points for "pretend church" Hallie! Neither of us had to take her out of the fake congregation. :)

#4: Seeing Jim always gives us a good laugh. Jim is our self-appointed, overly enthusiastic neighborhood watchman. He spends about 23 hours per day "patrolling" in his red Geo Tracker. He once told Riley that his watchman days would be over when he drove the wheels off of his patrol car. What a sad day that will be. :) He is a very nice man but fairly ridiculous and he made that very obvious this morning. As I was out walking he approached me in his "patrol car." He clearly saw me because he gave me a nod and an awkward wave all the while refusing to cross over the center line of the road to give me room to walk. Instead he slowed down to wait for me to scoot over on the grass to allow him to pass. All I could do was laugh.

#5: Pizza boy. 16 years old in appearance. Driving past me while I'm walking with his window cracked about 4 inches. Smell of cologne so pungent it could kill a cockroach. He left me in a cloud of musk. Giggle.

#6: I returned to the house to find that our daughter had joined a gang and was clearly dressing to fit in...


"Dad, are you sure these are the 0-3 months size?"

Dressing may not be his forte but surprising me with breakfast is. Hallie had taken a trip to get out of the house while I was sleeping. What a nice surprise seeing as how I didn't have an ounce of energy to make breakfast like I usually do on Sundays. He gave all of the credit to Hallie...apparently it was her idea.

I realized yesterday that I can spend the day away from my baby. Problem is, I wanted to kidnap everyone else's child. So many babies everywhere! And I missed mine and needed her with me! Oh, and I missed Riley a little too. ;) We started the day off a tad bit too early at 4 a.m. I think I was the only person who had watched an entire movie and worked out before 6 in the morning. I left dad and baby at home and had a morning of restoration. Restoring my hair, that is. I had plans to restore my sad looking feet but a pedicure will have to wait. Is it a bad thing when your husband's first response to your new hair color is "but what about your blonde hair?!" -2 points for Riley for not pretending he liked it. -2 points for me for picking the wrong hair color. I needed a new "mom" look...whatever that means. 

I attempted to convince Hallie that she wanted to take a nap with me for 2 hours while Riley mowed the yard. The nap didn't happen but we got to snuggle a lot! My cousin Dara met me at our house and we were off to the state fair. The people watching was not as entertaining as we had expected. Besides the lady with the curly blonde hair that was 3 feet in diameter, there wasn't much worth giving a double-take. Highlights of the fair:

  • Chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick

  


Yummy goodness...and only 10,000 calories!


  • Raining money from the Oklahoma Lotto truck!



  • Scoping out some of the ridiculous, non-edible fair food

    Chocolate-covered bacon?????

  • Eating more fair food...


  • And of course spending time with some of my favorite people...
Dara and I have a friendly feud

The Lovebirds: Spencer and Bailey

I couldn't wait to get back home to my baby! Five hours away was plenty and I had already called two times to check in! Riley and I had plans to go back to the fair today but I was heartbroken by all of the little babies sweating in their strollers and looking like they might pass out from heat exhaustion! So Hallie will stay inside in the cool air today, Riley doesn't have to go to the fair, and I got to go yesterday. Win-win for everyone!

Hallie's Corner

I have no new skills to report. Just my standard 2 month baby skills. However, I did sort of coo yesterday. Or that's what mom told me it was. You know how I was contemplating what I wanted to be when I grow up the other day...well I am still not sure, but I do know what I want to have as a high school job. Mom says I would be great with my own newspaper route....I love to get up at 4 in the morning and I have no need to go back to bed so I would be all set to go to school after I get done with my route. Thanks for the suggestion mom! Yesterday morning I chose my "I love my daddy" shirt to wear since dad and I were spending the day together. Well, I didn't even get to show him because before he woke up I had a blow out. It's pretty embarrassing. It has happened a lot lately. Lots of clothes changing and you know how much I love that. Ugh. I think it's time to upgrade diaper sizes. Dad and I had a great time yesterday. We watched some car shows on TV and I learned how to rebuild an engine, and now I know all about Marine sniper rifles. Well I'm tired and it's a Sunday and dad says everyone takes naps on Sundays so I'm gonna go and do just that. Bye everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment