Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Not So Domestic Goddess

Domesticity and I go together like oil and water...like Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump...like cats and dogs. Due to my lack of blessed ability to handle my home environment with grace, I try to be conscientious about teaching Hallie skills very early in life that I want her to know. Most of these things are traits, skills or characteristics that I want to be good at or strive to be good at. Problem is, I usually end up falling flat on my face. I would place both my mom and MIL (mother-in-law) in the "domestic goddess" category. Why I can't latch onto this is beyond me. When I cook something, it ends up burned. When I do laundry, something ends up shrinking to child size. Last week was my diaper in the washing machine issue......but today was a new one. Miss Wet Pants was in need of some clean sheets and a freshly washed mattress pad cover. Said mattress pad cover has plastic on the back. Bonehead mommy threw this right into the dryer along with the rest of her clothes. And this is what I ended up with.....

A plastic-coated dryer

....and a lovely mattress cover.

It was high time to redeem myself. Not only was I craving some no bake cookies, but I also wanted to have an activity to keep Hallie learning and occupied during our afternoon at home. She woke up a little on the fragile side today and was a bit of a challenging booger. What better time that now for her first "baking lesson?" Of course we had to start simple with something that involved no actual baking and ingredients that she could eat. She was a huge help with this endeavor. And by help I mean that she whined the entire time because I kept her in the high chair after she decided to sweep a counter full of items onto the floor. The only time she wasn't upset by the process was when it was time to lick the spoon....



Oh yeah, and also as I spooned them out on the counter...her arms transformed into Inspector Gadget appendages as she was reaching for a handful of chocolaty goodness.


Yes, that's foil. Non-domestic goddesses don't have waxed paper in their drawers

Laundry and "baking" had left me and the girl tuckered out. Ok, what really left me exhausted was a day full of holding my 22 lb child because she needed snuggle/mommy time due to her fragile state. Fragile state = teething, by the way. Exhaustion = 2 hour nap for me, 3 hour nap for her.

Does someone smell the lovely scent of redemption? Well, think again. I picked up a beautiful salmon at the grocery store the other day and have been looking forward to tasting it since Saturday. I gave it a go with the grill for the very first time tonight.....see, trying to be more domestic anyway I can. Lol. Anyway, with supervision and a few pointers I was able to grill the yummy pink goodness without it falling through the cracks, burning it or having it fall apart. So I served this yummy goodness and we sat down for a late dinner together. I guess I should add that Riley has never eaten salmon in his life. WHAT? Turns out he loved it.....ok, more like he loved to tear it apart with his fork and feed it to the dogs. Riley = not a fan of salmon. I kinda had a feeling considering he doesn't like shrimp, catfish, lobster or crab. It was worth a try though. On the bright side....more leftover for me!!!!


Do cleaning up messes and changing diapers fall in the domestic category? If so, then I have nothing to worry about. More tales of my domestic endeavors to come I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment