Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lights Out!

I prayed for rain today. And it rained. These days rain is something to blog about. Especially when it leads to such an interesting evening. :) The sound of the pitter patter on the roof of Walmart was music to my ears. I made sure to bring Hallie's attention to it, though she had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. So I thought I'd show her what I was talking about. We weren't done with our shopping but we made our way toward the front of the store to see just how much it was raining. I was picturing this wimpy lil sprinkle business but was blown away (no pun intended) by the 80 mph wind gust we saw going on outside. Holy blowing shopping carts!!!  Actually I couldn't see the shopping carts...we couldn't see anything! I have never seen such an incredible wind gust. We continued filling the cart and fifteen minutes later headed to checkout. I could still hear the rain overhead but it had calmed down quite a bit by that time. I figured I ought to come up with something fast to occupy Hal since we would be waiting out the rain. She chose her own form of entertainment when she reached for the container of puffs from the cart. What can I say, the girl loves to eat.....

"I'm cool with staying awhile as long as there are snacks involved."

We waited a good ten minutes watching the rain fall and then when it had let up enough we made a mad dash for the car. Wind oh the wind. I strapped Hal in the carseat in record time and threw the sacks (literally) in the car and jumped in the driver's seat. By this time Hallie was angry because I had taken her puffs away and she hadn't enjoyed the rain and wind. For those who need a visual, this about sums it up.....


On the short trip home I handed Hal my phone to watch some Einstein but I hadn't planned on her slobbering in my phone. We pulled up to the house and watched as the garage door stayed shut although I was mashing down on the opener repeatedly. Awesome. No power. Call us stupid or whatever you wanna call it but for some reason we haven't made a copy of the key to the cave. I was wanting a key very badly at this point. I grabbed my phone from a content Hal to call Riley.....this turned into a very not content Hal after her entertainment was taken away. As she was screaming in the backseat from being tired and hungry for dinner, I was up front wondering why my phone wouldn't unlock. After trying several times and banging it on my hand I noticed something weird about my screen. Awesome. Hallie had somehow slobbered enough and it had collected up underneath my phone cover. At that point I'm thinking the following: I don't want to buy another iphone, how on earth do I get this Otter box off my phone to empty the slobber, I have no way to call Riley now to let me in the house. I took off with plans to go search for my hubby. My plan was to run by all the places he could possibly be: gym or work. I didn't make it that far because I finally figured out how to get my phone cover off , and called Riley to see where he was. He said "babe, I'm at home." He must've turned in just after I turned out. Lol! We headed back home and found Riley holding the garage door open for us. Hallie let out a big giggle the moment she saw him and he reached in and grabbed his girl out of the car. I hurried in to find some candles and matches. Two candles was all I could find. Hallie ate by candlelight as I unloaded groceries in the darkness......


"I'm glad this food tastes good because I have no idea what I'm putting in my mouth"

Next up, bath by candlelight. As luck would have it Hallie decided the bath would be a great place to go #2. I couldn't see much but I could hear the grunting begin. It was already too late to pick her up and put her on the toilet.....so let's just say that I have an Eskimo Joe's cup that will never be the same. Bahahaha! Just as I snatched her out of the tub to see what other trouble we could find the lights kicked back on.

"?"

Praise the Lord for rain! We will take all the power outages in the world if it means some relief from this drought!

"Rain is a good thing....."

No comments:

Post a Comment