Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Big D and the Adventures of Mr. Mom: Part II



Bet ya didn’t realize there was going to be a Part II, huh? Well, as long as Heather keeps letting us tag along with her to market there will be many more installments to Big D and the Adventures of Mr. Mom. ;) It’s been a little over four months since I last left my husband and babe behind to go do some serious shopping in Dallas with my two best friends. It was market time again this past weekend and I could not have been more ready to get away with the girls for some fun! But of course there is always that guilt I feel for leaving for the weekend….but it made it better knowing that I would be back by Saturday night and get to spend all day Sunday with them. This weekend was filled with the best of both worlds…family and friends!!!

The weekend started on Friday morning for us girls. I was up by 4:45 a.m. and out the door by 5:30 headed to Enid to meet Heather. We had a 7 hour drive ahead of us. Well it was supposed to be a 6 hour drive but after you add in a few extra stops and getting turned around (aka, getting lost) then it’s turns out to be 7 hours. We were meeting Kyser in McAlester so that we could ride half of the way to Dallas all together. It really didn’t seem like a long drive at all and we always have plenty to chat and laugh about. My cautious-driving friend Heather was making me giggle as she always does when she drives…she’s pretty entertaining when we enter rain, a sharp curve or a big truck. Here was her first anxiety-inducing obstacle….


It didn’t rain too awful long but there is no way I am going to complain about rain at this point in Oklahoma so I was saying “bring on the rain!” Somebody else wasn’t so excited about it….


What else made us laugh on the way there?? When Heather realized that she had been wearing her dress backwards all morning. Bahaha! Love that girl!!

We had some serious shopping jitters going on so once we got to Dallas we didn’t waste any time and headed straight for the mall. I am one shopping-deprived girl and was in heaven at Northpark. We all had certain things to cross off our shopping lists and spent a good six hours at the mall. After a yummy lunch at the Neiman Marcus café we got busy and by 8:00 we were ready to rest our tootsies. One of our favorite stops was at Lush. Hello heaven!! The girls sat back and laughed at me as I got a facial cleansing and new natural makeup applied. This is so not something I would usually do in public but it's hard to say no when you are being pampered....



Laughing at me ;)

The damage

Back home Riley was picking up Hallie from Nanny’s house for a night of…well, I’m not really sure what actually. I do know that part of the evening was spent in line at Walmart waiting in a very long line so I saw in a text message…

What I also saw was proof of our girl selecting some snacks in a nearby checkout line. Riley insists that she would not take no for an answer when he tried to put back a container of Goldfish and Teddy Grahams…uh huh, sure. She’s not spoiled at all.

"We are NOT leaving without US magazine dad!"
I have a feeling that the evening involved a very early bedtime for a certain little girl and a tv and recliner for a certain husband. Just a wild guess though. ;) I did have a fun conversation with them when I called. Well really I only talked to my girl. Riley handed the phone to her and all I could hear was a lot of banging and rustling going on while I read her “Moo, Baa, La La La” from memory as she grinned really big.
After doing plenty of damage at the mall we headed to the hotel! The man at the front desk had jokes for us and told us “it shows here I have you in a room with one twin bed.” Funny guy! He said “I’m only kidding, you’d have to be pretty close friends to make that one work.” Lol! We dropped our bags up in the room but didn’t stay long because the second floor was calling our name. Free drinks and “milk and cookie” hour. YUMMO!!!! I tried to save my appetite for the dinner we were about to go eat but it was hard. These cookies were amazing…..

After our milk and cookie snack we trekked all 100 yards to the Iron Cactus behind the hotel. We found a table on the third floor patio…despite it being in the 90s it wasn’t too bad sitting outside because of the breeze. The perfect evening!! I just fall more in love with downtown Dallas each time we go….

The Magnolia



The two best BFFs a girl could ask for

After a late dinner we were exhausted and ready to get some zzzzzz’s so to bed we went…well Heather and I that is, while Kyser did her night time beauty routine that takes no less than an hour.  I guess maybe if I put as much effort into it as she does maybe I could have long beautiful hair and great skin like her. ;) I didn’t move a muscle that night and was surprised that everyone was already up and getting around when my alarm went off around 6:45. It was market day and we had a LOT of walking ahead of us so we got powered up at breakfast downtstairs after getting ready.

After a slight detour (aka more getting lost) we were at the World Trade Center and getting checking in. It was still rainy, humid and dreary by the time we parked so we made our way in quickly all huddling under one umbrella. It turned out that her usual favorite stops, BCBG and Steve Madden, were either closed or had nothing that looked enticing. So we headed to the “temporaries” and found some great stuff. As you can see, I’m trying out all of the shoe lingo that she teaches us. The temporaries are brands or reps that don’t have a permanent store at market. The only way to describe market is SHOE HEAVEN. Although I don’t wear a size 6 like all of the samples I managed to squeeze my foot into plenty of shoes to test them out. After Heather had picked out some cute fall and spring inventory we headed down to the “cash’n’carry” floor to get our final shopping fix. We had now moved from shoe heaven to ACCESSORY HEAVEN. All of the belts, purses, rings, necklaces, earrings, etc that you can imagine! I picked up a few goodies for myself and couldn’t help but get some great stuff for some of the ladies in my life. We wrapped up our market shopping and walked outside to a beautiful afternoon. We were sad to leave town so soon but we wanted to get back home so that we would have a full day on Sunday to rest. On our way out of town we stopped and had an awesome seafood lunch at Pappadeaux. Anytime I can get seafood I take advantage since Riley is not a big fan of things that come out of the ocean. Goodbye Dallas, hello family!
Speaking of family, Hallie was having a playdate with Aunt Kylie Saturday morning while we shopped....

"I think it's out of gas Aunt Ky"

"Hello...mom...can ya hear me now?"


.....all the while Riley was in OKC to finish his “arm art." I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that he enjoyed the alone quiet time just as much as I was enjoying my fun girl time. It wouldn’t be a Mr. Mom blog without a good story. This one involves a bath, a baby and throwing poop. Hmmmm, didn’t Riley and Hallie have issued with a bath and poop last installment?? ;) Supposedly the little gal decided that she would get her hands on some yucky stuff and throw it on the floor while she waited to get in the tub. Poor Mr. Mom! He says that she was rebelling at breakfast time and refused to eat her yogurt from a spoon but rather wanted to eat it with her hands. I bet that went over well. Riley made it home to Woodward by 5:00 and I hear it was another early night for Hal gal.
We dropped Kyser off in McAlister and made it to Enid by 8:30. I was so ready to be home and was really wanting a teleportation machine at that point! Not only was it dark but I was tired and I hate having to drive through the construction zone in Cheyenne Valley in the dark. Well thanks to the two highway patrolmen that I became acquainted with my drive was not so dark and involved lots of flashing lights. I was just driving along enjoying the peace and quiet in the car which is rather unusual for me considering there is usually a very angry little gal in the back trying to escape her carseat. So anyway, just minding my own business driving 62 through a very abandoned construction zone when all of a sudden those stupid lights that trigger a fear that makes your stomach jump up into your throat. Ugh!! I dug for my license and insurance and had it ready when he came and shined his bright light right in my face. Can you sense my frustration? He was smart and gave me a warning for going 7 over the limit and told me to be careful and go 55. So I drove away, after texting Riley to tell him I’d been lucky, and set my cruise control on 55. After all, I was in a 55, right??? NO!!!! I had somehow missed the sign where I was first pulled over that changed to 45 and I was handed my second warning just 3 short minutes after the first. I am convinced that these two guys were out trying to have a little fun to make innocent women cry…..well, it worked! The man told me “be careful maam and it’s a long 45 mph stretch right through here.” I bravely responded by saying “oh, don’t worry, I’ll be driving 35 all the way to Woodward.” Luckily I got a laugh out of him instead of a ticket for being sarcastic. The tears may have softened him up a bit. Thank goodness for those two warnings otherwise I may have been returning most of my purchases I’d made over the weekend to cover the two construction zone tickets. Eeeek!

Proof that crying really does work

I finally made it home to a dark, quiet house at 10:45. My loves were sleeping. L They had survived yet another weekend alone and must’ve been pretty exhausted from it. It felt good to be home and near my favorites. <3

I can’t help but feel so blessed and fortunate to have two best friends that have continued to be a major part of my life and have continued to be there for me. The three amigas are here to stay. We’ve seen eachother through a lot of ups and downs and although we don’t see eachother as often as we’d like, we make the most of the time when we are together. I love you Heather and Kyser (I know you are reading this!) Thank you Heather for yet another fabulous girl’s weekend!
Until next time…..

No comments:

Post a Comment