Friday, March 18, 2011

Hallie's Senior Moment

Apparently 8 months old is the new 75. Hallie spent part of the afternoon with me at her great-grandparent's house to help me with Great MeMe's therapy session. I had planned to bring her along with me but today's schedule went a little haywire and I headed off without her. I called to let them know that she wouldn't be joining me today and I could hear grandpa's heart break over the phone. He also told me that grandma was sitting on the porch waiting for Hallie to arrive. So after I quickly put the tiny pieces of my heart back together, I turned the car around and went to pick her up from Nanny's house. This time today spent with her "greats" was so precious to watch. I have a feeling after today that she is going to follow in Grammy and I's footsteps and be a therapist. After all, she has all of the qualities it takes...fascination with oxygen and assistive devices and a strong desire to help. And help she sure did. ;) That is if you count chewing on cords and eating walkers. She arrived a near 8 month old baby and left as an old soul ready for retirement. I am not sure what sparked her intruige but it could have been her selection of reading once we arrived....

"I have to wait 64 more years??!!"

As usual she took in all of her surroundings and just so happened to stumble upon the best toy in the world. My grandma kept saying "well I should get her some toys to keep here." Hallie made it obvious that she didn't need toys...to heck with them....because oxygen cords are where it's at..... 

"Can we get some of these for home?"

Great Papa and MeMe got a good laugh out of watching her munch and slobber and jabber and play. She made sure to show off her babbling and her new love for doing pushups. And of course continued to eat cords....



"So this cord is like 20 feet long momma..the fun never ends!"

"See, I told you."

This is where her therapy skills shined....she wanted to help MeMe do some walking......

"Ok, let's go MeMe..."

But someone (not mentioning any names) got selfish and wanted to chew on the walker instead.....

"Hold on one second, this feels good on my gums"

I'm proud of my little mini therapist even though she didn't end up being much help. BUT I can guarantee she was her own type of therapy...baby therapy. I just love seeing grandma and grandpa's faces light up when she comes through the door. I could tell that grandma is making great strides when I found her waiting at the door and hollering to Hallie as I got her out of the car. Good news: MeMe is almost back to normal. And I will keep doing physical therapy and baby therapy until she ditch the oxygen and walker....in that case I'm sure Hallie would love to inherit them to play with. It's a win-win for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment