Saturday, December 8, 2012

Big Girl's First Movie


My tiny tot is old enough to go to a movie!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

What on earth is going on here? On one hand I'm beyond thrilled that this brings about new possibilities and a new realm of entertainment that both of us can thoroughly enjoy together....but on the other hand I'm desperately trying to figure out how I have a child who is old enough to do such big girl things. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that this was my first trip to the new (and amazing) theater in town....


Rise of the Guardians seemed like the perfect holiday movie to see and I'd heard great reviews about it....


As I laid Lil Red down for her nap I promised her a big surprise once she woke up. I thought she'd taken the bait quickly but it took a lot longer that I'd thought it would to get her settled down for some rest. She ended up taking a nice long nap though and was in a chipper mood upon awakening. I'll be honest here.....I don't remember the last time I was as excited about anything as I was about taking her to the movies. Like really, really, really, REALLY excited. As a huge movie fan who lives with someone who has to be dragged kicking and screaming into a theater I just couldn't contain my excitement about having a movie-going partner now!!!

She said the word "popcorn" at least 2,570 times on the way there. I even caved and gave let her drink a pop. Gasp. Don't tell her dad, k? Hey, there's only one "first movie", right? I was thrilled upon paying for tickets to find out that tiny tot got in free. Which I figured would be great considering I didn't expect us to stay for more than ten minutes. Ok I kid...but just a little. We bought a HUGE tub of buttery popcorn and she continued yelling "popcorn" until the movie began....



As we walked into the movie we had to stop and count each tub of popcorn on the carpet. There were many. It was great fun. ;) No really....I was at the stinkin' movies!!! With my baby!! I was in heaven!!! We found some seats down low on the outside of the row (for quick exits), placed her up in the chair that nearly folded her little body in half and made me giggle, sat the big tub of goodness in her lap and joined in on her eating spree. She scoped out the other kiddos nearby and flashed me some huge smiles in between shoving bites of popcorn in her mouth. Luckily she shared with dear ol' momma.


Cute alert! Some of the bigger kids in the audience were shushing eachother as the lights went down and the movie started. Hal must've caught on quickly because she gave me a very serious "ssshhhh momma, no talk" as I leaned over to thank her for sharing the popcorn. She seemed amazed by the big screen and all of the characters that zoomed to and fro. But friends, don't let me fool you. We ran into our usual issues....mainly "pee pee" issues. In a matter of 45 we went to the potty four times. Yes. Four. Every 11 minutes we were in the bathroom playing possum and begging for more soap from the automatic soap dispenser. At that point I realized that I needed to detach myself from the thought of actually following the movie all the way through. I was impressed by how quiet she was through the entire experience...she kept putting her finger over her mouth and "sssshhh"ing as we walked back up to our seats. I did have to corral her once she discovered the bar to swing on in front of us. At that point I lured her out of the theater into the arcade. That was not a tough feat. Lights and sounds???.....she's there!!!




I'd call movie #1 a great experience. No crying, no screaming, no throwing herself on the ground, no running away from me......ok, it was an awesome experience!!!! We made it halfway through which is more than I'd expected. I feel like Rise of the Guardians was a bit old for her age so I have high hopes for Monster Inc 3D later this month. As long as there's popcorn I think we're guaranteed a happy girl......



I feel liberated. Thanks baby girl. I have a feeling we may be doing this on most weekends for a long time to come. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment