Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sick and Tired....


Sunday morning, 8:00 a.m. I find myself posted up on the couch with my trusty blanket, a delicious sugar cookie and a bottle of Diet Dr Pepper. To me there are so very many things wrong with that statement. First of all, I had no intentions of rolling out of bed until after the clock read 9:00 seeing as how Hal gal is having a sleepover at Nanny and Papa's house. Secondly, the sugar cookies literally jumped in my mouth which is a crime in my books. ;) And lastly, I'm supposed to be a no-caffeine drinker....uh yeah, about that. Ha! But you know what? Sometimes it's necessary to get up early to enjoy a cookie, pop and some good ol' silence. I guess that's my reasoning this morning. Sleep has been hard to come by lately. It seems as though I'm somewhere stuck deep in the muck of the holiday blues. Yucky muck. Lots of reasons for the muck....but nothing I can change. Here's something really cool though. Guess who isn't down in the holiday muck? Guess who can be found running around belting a loud "ho ho ho"s and talking about baby Jesus? Yep, you guessed it. This girl right here.....


My trusty sidekick. My ever steady partner in crime. My little love bug. But we had a problem last week. My non-mucky mate was suddenly all mucky. She had some yucky muck in the form of a cough, red ears, goopy eyes, stuffy nose, throwing up and a fever to top it all off. Oh no!! Two mucky people? No wait, make that three mucky people! (Riley is in holiday scrooge mode so he can be considered mucky as well)

It was a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong week of playing pharmacist in attempts to get her fever under control. She just wasn't herself after a nap on Sunday last week and I knew something had to be wrong......

Sad baby girl

But I wasn't so sure when she hopped out of her crib, donned her pink Barbie helmet and started crawling the floors as if she was in the trenches of war.....


She rocked her church Christmas program that day but came home exhausted and passed out early....


She even tried to convince me that the bathtub was a great place to rest her little tired head.....


She looked awful......

Our house rule: if you feel yucky it's okay to sit naked on the couch eating out of the cookie box


Monday morning rolled around and she was none to thrilled to be getting dressed for the day. In fact, as I sat her up on the counter to take some allergy medicine she quickly flopped her mucky self belly down on the counter and protested with a big grunt. I guess she thought she was staying put for the day.....


I was worried about dropping her off that morning but a single text from Paula mid-morning with some pictures of Hal dancing and playing had eased my worries. She seemed to be feeling better when I picked her up but things went downhill from that point. After a full Monday evening of hearing her sweet voice say "go doctor, momma" I couldn't not take her to our nurse practitioner the next day. Shawna's office could fit us in Tuesday afternoon so I toted my sad little bean into the office for a sucker and sticker, er, I mean checkup. At first I thought she'd gone and fooled me again. She was flitting around the office like a butterfly begging for "sucks and sticks" at the front desk all the while picking out toys from the bin. Talk about the mother who cried sick baby?!? But wait....maybe she wasn't feeling so hot after overdoing it with all of the running around.....

Oh that face....that poor, poor face

She went home with four suckers (two-year-old perks of her daddy managing the clinic), two stickers and some antibiotics. Over the course of Wednesday she became much sicker. My friend Bev had driven to town from Edmond for a work meeting the following morning. I had offered up a room and we had plans to relax, eat dinner and catch up on life. Well, we did some of those things......in between cleaning up vomit. Yucky muck. Bev has a five-month-old baby boy but looked like a seasoned pro helping me with the mess(es). To say that Hal had a hard time going to bed that night would be a gross understatement. I believe it was around 10:45 by the time she fell asleep....and so did all of the adults. Hal had braved daycare all week thus far but Thursday morning proved to be a different story. She was running a fever and looked muckier than ever. We scrambled around quickly to devise a plan: Riley came home from work until 10:00....then Nanny watched Hal until 1:30....then I was luckily done with work very early and able to come home to put Hal down for a nap. You wouldn't have been able to tell that she was a sick girl if you'd glanced at her that afternoon. She had a streak of silly come out which led to her wearing panties on her bed.....



I spent the quiet time doing some work from home while waiting to see what would be waiting for the on the other side of Hallie's door after she woke up. A happy girl was what I found. We did some playing and some snooping in presents....she found we wrapping her new shopping cart and naturally claimed it as her own and insisted on putting her baby in it. How was I supposed to say no after she'd had a rough week??

Doin' some shoppin'

Later that evening I had to get out and run an errand so I toted Hal with me since Riley was on train duty at the park that night. I bundled up Hal and we set out for a quick trip out of the house. Thirty minutes later we were hurrying home to get some meds in her because her fever had spiked....once we got home it proved to be a big spike....her temp read 103. She took a cool bath, downed some Motrin and fought sleep for a good 90 minutes due to coughing spells. Up and down seemed to be the theme of the sickness. I've got picture to prove it.....

Happy

Really happy

Sick

See what I mean? The blue-clad gal above was back in Shawna's office on Friday morning when she woke up with a fever. We controlled it with some Tylenol so by the time we got to the office she was feeling a bit better. Three suckers and no stickers later, she was leaving with orders for a new antibiotic and a suggestion to use Benadryl. I have one question? How am I just discovering the magic of Benadryl???????????? The girl was like a new person after I gave her a dose of that stuff....and she slept like a baby during her nap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nanny came over for some for Hal time while I ran some errands on Friday....I think having her around is medicine enough for Hal. She loves her Nanny. She still had a cough when we loaded up the car that night to head to Gman's house but, low and behold, she awoke anew on Saturday morning just in time for a day of fun with G. I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. One less person in the muck.

.....annnnnnnnnndddddddd sighhhhh....... 







No comments:

Post a Comment