Monday, August 6, 2012

Color Me Bad

We've been doing a lot of coloring lately. Miss two-year-old made a killing when it came to crayons, markers, chalk and any other kind of writing tools you can imagine. We've hidden quite a bit of the items we've placed in the "messy" category for now and have been letting her get her feet wet with her boxes of crayons. I'm actually not sure who has been enjoying it more....me or her? I find it interesting to see what colors she gravitates towards. She always grabs for the light yellows and greens. Which makes sense....when asked what her favorite color is she ALWAYS responds with "gold." Despite her preference for "gold" and green, I think if Hallie were a crayon she'd be gray. Although her vibrant, colorful personality shines through I feel as though she likes to read between the lines.....things are not black and white with her....more like gray. In that gray area always lies her own interpretation of what I tell her. Take the other afternoon for example: 

I told miss priss to please not dump her crayons out of the box. I was trying to teach her to take them out one at a time and place them back in neatly. I was actually surprised at how well it was going. That is until I turned my back to do some dishes in the kitchen. I had the water running which made it impossible to hear the little toot throwing her crayons on the ground. When I looked up to see what she was up to I think she nearly jumped out of her little chair when she heard me ask "what are you doing sis?!" She did that signature move where she drops her head and looks up at the with puppy dog eyes....all the while continuing to dump crayons on the floor one by one.....


The colorful mess was picked up one by one as I watched her learn her lesson. The funny part came when she picked up a green crayon that had a broken tip. Devastation ensued. She cried out "MEME!!!!!" blaming the dog for her broken color. Ya see, it's this gray area where she believes that anything and everything can be blamed on the dog. It couldn't possibly have been the fact that she was throwing them on the floor. Nope, must've been that bad dog. ;)

"It wasn't me!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment