Sunday, January 1, 2012

Are you here yet 2012???

We just had one more order of business to attend to before 2012 arrived. One last Christmas celebration. This one was the Fanning family Christmas with Riley's grandparents, aunt, uncles and cousins. Hallie was a bit confused about why I'd dressed her in red and green. I informed her that it is perfectly acceptable to celebrate Christmas up until January one. She was still a little skeptical...
"So you're telling me that it's still Christmas huh? Then why did you take the tree down??"

I finally convinced her that Christmas was back on and she soon had her Christmas swagger back....
"It ain't over til it's over folks"

We all met in Ft. Supply at the community building. There were around 25 of us there including kiddos. Speaking of kiddos, that was the most fun part!
Ladies in red

Someone was ready for dinner the moment we walked through the door....
"I'm not ashamed of my appetite. When it's time, it's time."

We tried to get her interested in playing with her little cousins but she still had one thing on her mind....
"Nanny, is that pork I smell?"

We were all able to catch up on the happenings of everyone in the family and of course got to love on the little ones....
Mr. Bric

"Girl, your momma must think it's still Christmas too."

"Papa, do ya think you could at least sneak me a piece of cheese or something?"

"Carmen, got any snacks in your bag that I could munch on?"

We finally fed the Christmas clad cutie and she was grateful. Heck, we were all grateful for the food and the wonderful, thoughtful gifts from everyone.....

Shaking her pom pom from Aunt Christy

Saturday morning was a slice of heaven. We got up early, ate breakfast, played our little hearts out and took a trip over to the park. Riley took a break from his list of tasks to get done and pulled the shuttle over to the park.....


The weather was gorgeous (minus the wind that was blowing relentlessly) and I couldn't get over the fact that I was able to wear shorts at the end of December! Definitely a rarity and a day to take advantage of. And that we did.....
"Dad, it's a mighty fine day, dontcha think?"

A certain little reddish-head was having the time of her life. If I haven't mentioned it before, she is pretty partial to having both of her parents at the park with her. Those make for the most fun trips.....
"Oh yeah!!"

You have probably noticed her shoe choice above. Yeah, this is what happened before we left the house.....


Shoe selection meltdown

Whatever makes her happy.....
"Thanks mom!"

I really don't think I've ever seen bigger smiles on her face than I did today. I had Riley switch me spots so that I could push and he could see the big grins she had plastered on her face....









The blue line was ready and waiting to take us back to the house for lunch. Hal jumped right in when she heard the word "food"....
"Step on it driver!"

I keep looking behind me but can't seem to find my behind. Turns out we worked our tails off today. ;) With plenty of help from Hallie it made for a very kind of productive day. Riley finished up cleaning the rent house and made sure everything was ready for the next renter while Hallie and I unpacked boxes slowly between taking trips around the yard in the wagon, having tea parties and doing laundry. I've got to say that she was the perfect little girl today. No complaints at all. This made for a happy momma. She shorted me on my quiet "get work done" time by waking up early from her nap. She was feeling lovey dovey and oh so cooperative so I decided it was a great time to brave Walmart. Hal was no hassle at all. She just couldn't get sleep off her mind....

Well this is a first.

Aunt Katie and Carmen came over to play with us after we got back home. Carmen was all smiles as usual and looked on as I had Hallie sort through her baby toys to let Carmen borrow some. It took a little convincing but she parted with several toys that she hasn't used in awhile....but the jumper was a different story. The girl did not want to let it go. She went and climbed in it numerous times throughout the day as we were organizing the garage and when she saw that it was going to a new home she wasn't letting it go that easy. I literally carried it out to Katie's car with Hallie still in the jumper. Bahaha!! Now Carmen has some jumpin' to do.....


We used up the rest of the sunshine the day had to offer by doing some exploring in the backyard.....



Although Hallie's habit of dumping over the dog's water bowl and wanting to climb on top of the lawnmower was a huge help while we unpacked, it was time for bed. She didn't mind one bit and collapsed in my arms as I carried her to bed. I suddenly started to feel yucky with a pounding headache and an aching neck. The sickness that I thought had for the most part passed was rearing its ugly head again. Not that our NYE celebrations are ever anything exciting and wild, but we definitely haven't had one this low key since we've been married. I really don't even know if we acknowledged the day until right before the ball dropped. And even then it really didn't matter much. After all, my mind was elsewhere this evening. Wondering what it would be like to be celebrating my mom's 3rd anniversary with her new heart. I would've been hosting a party with friends and family most likely with a big "3" necklace draped around my mom's neck. I feel like God was placing this on my heart today as a few reminders popped up unexpectedly. For starters, as we were out in the garage tonight Hallie was "sorting" through a stack of books and brought a small little purple book over to me. At first I thought it belonged to her but soon realized it was a very special book to me. It was titled "To a Very Special Daughter". I opened it up and read it to Hallie as she sat in my lap. I thought it would immediately bring the tears as I read the words that my mom had handwritten in the book for me. But I didn't cry. Just overwhelming sadness. Later in the evening I was resting on the couch when Riley came up behind me and layed a picture down in my lap. He said he'd found it lying on the floor of the garage and that it must've fallen out of a box. It was a picture of my mom on the day that we did her "hospital makeover" after her transplant. She looked so gorgeous that day. Still no tears came to my eyes. I think what I learned on this NYE is that I'm all cried out in 2011. This year did me in. Three moves, said an unexpected goodbye to my mom and a lot of transition. Whew. I'm spent. And I think I can say the same for Riley as well. We have very high expectations for 2012 even though we weren't big on celebrating its arrival this year.  We had steak and potatoes for dinner. I attempted to make some cookies for Riley's big road trip to Phoenix tomorrow but they turned into rock hard lumps after cooling. :( My sweet, sweet husband surprised me by running some water in the tub, lighting some candles and turning on the jets for me. After about thirty minutes of relaxing I finally realized just how stressed out and tensed up I'd become. I must say it helped a bit but I'm sitting here at 12:01 and 2012 is starting just the way it ended. This headache and I are going to have to part ways before Tuesday rolls around. I always hate to end on a sour note so I've got a sweet little tidbit for you. Guess who snuck out of bed around 10:30 to see what all the New Year's Eve fuss was about.....

"Let's celebrate on East coast time, k?"

She didn't stay up to see the ball drop but she did sneak in some NYE kisses from both of us. She is my little beacon of light. I love that sweet baby to the ends of the earth and back and I'm 99% sure that 2011 would've been a little too much to handle had she not been a part of it.
HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIENDS and FAMILY!!! We love all of you!!! Thank you for putting up with us in 2011....

No comments:

Post a Comment