Thursday, January 5, 2012

"There Once Was a Little Girl....."

First of all, let's get past how big of a hot mess my daughter looks in the picture below. She was post-bath and had escaped from our arms before we could do her grooming. Our wild-haired squeaky clean babe only wanted one thing after her bath tonight: to go somewhere. How do we know this? Well she sure doesn't say "take me for a ride in the car." But she does beg incessantly to put on her coat, scarf and purse. The girl's got places to go, people to see. This is something we go through at least once a day. The girl enjoys a nice waltz in her coat, what can I say? ;) Even her clear lack of pajamas and her crazy hair weren't stopping her from going bye-bye.

"Move it or lose it people! There's a one-day only sale at Peggy's!!"

Riley was handing her the accessories that she had so adamantly requested from her coat rack while I looked on and laughed. I found myself saying "she always wants to go somewhere." Then "BOOM" like lightening, I was immediately taken back to a memory from my childhood. A very, very vivid memory that I don't plan on ever forgetting..........

........ya see, my sister thought she was the best ghost story teller ever. And she wasn't shy about telling her "ghost stories" to anyone who would listen. We would beg her to tell us a story for one reason and one reason only.....so that we could give her a hard time. So what was so special about these stories? She began each ghost story with a famous line: "there once was a little girl and she always wanna go somewhere." I guess I should mention that she was a wee little one telling these tales which made them that much cuter. We would egg her on and ask for a good story and wait for her to say her first line...we would then bombard her with question after question about what this "little girl" looked like, what she wore, why she always wanted to go somewhere. Here's the part that tickles my funny bone....she usually never got past her first sentence because she got tired of us asking questions. Gah, we were mean. I was laughing to myself as I texted her tonight to tell her the good news......I had found "the little girl who always wanna go somewhere."

Dad? Aunt Lana? Please tell me you remember these famous ghost stories!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment