Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Tour of Homes

When asked to host something my answer is always immediately and most definitely "YES." 

Always. 

When asked to host something that involves decorating extra for Christmas the answer is "HECK YES!"

The owner of one of my favorite decorative stores in town called me about the tour in October asking if I'd be interested. This gave me plenty of time to scheme about my Christmas plan. It allowed me plenty of time to take my big two basket Hobby Lobby trip and numerous trips to stores around town gathering odds and ends. I received a letter near the first of November letting me know that my house needed to be completed by November 25th. Cue panic mode. Cue the worry about how many trees would be sufficient. On November 9th Christmas made an early entrance into our home and every inch was covered in glitter, fake snow, ornament hooks and ribbon. Good thing I have some cooperative and patient sidekicks that live with me. Me....not so patient. I couldn't stand the wait for Riley to drag the boxes down so I made that dreaded yet exciting trip to the attic to drag down three trees and ten boxes. We (trusty Hal and I) started in her room with a brand new white tree and pink and gray ornaments. She was adorable grouping all of her ornaments in one tiny section of the tree. I kept them there for a good ten minutes and then the OCD took over and I had to spread them out. She marveled at her work when we were all done and her eyes were big in the sparkly light...."it so boooootiful mommy." 





Our elf, Summer, made her (he's really a he but who's keeping track) appearance and has been hanging out around the house being "so silly" ever since....


I unpacked anything and everything that didn't have to do with trees since my arms needed a break from the scratchy branches.....













He's such a good sport this time of year. Hehe

Can't wait to add another next year

Once my arms stopped bleeding (only kidding) this little guy seemed harmless for my next tree to tackle....



After that came the candy tree which was formerly the boring "white tree." I'm quite fond of all the color now and the bow that Polly made is eye-catching....





I had a billion tour guests ask about the bit light-up bows on the doors....Walmart. Cue the surprised expressions.



This petite little guy (a hand me down from Nanny) was fun to funky up plus very quick and easy to boot.....



Next came the big momma. Dun dun dun. 


A thousand tiny branch scratches on my arms later and I was done. Sort of. Glutton for punishment here went out and bought a box of 100 new ornaments to add to it. When standing on a chair felt more natural to me than standing on the ground I figured it was time for a break. Present-wrappin' time....





The kitchen got a makeover too. Riley was so pleased to see his pregnant wife tiptoeing on the counter trying to reach the corner of the wall when he walked through the door one evening.....





My Hal loves all the sparkle and her smile says it all....


But her favorite thing of all......is her new super girly tree in her playroom.....


This undertaking took me the longest by far and was in no way planned but I think it's my favorite too now!!


I mean seriously, all that COLOR!!



The newspaper came a week later than planned to take pictures for the Sunday paper so it came me some extra time to finish up completely. The day of the home tour came and went in a flash. Christmas music playing in the background, yummy treats laid out on the counter, a holiday scent in the warmer and the lights were all lit up. So many friendly faces (friends, family and complete strangers of course) made their way through the house that afternoon and grabbed some cider and goodies that I'd set out on the counter. Nanny came over to help me host and greet visitors at the door. As crazy as it sounds there was not one stressful second of the entire day. It was perfect in every sense of the word. Every visitor was gracious and kind and I loved meeting a load of new people. Christmas tour of homes goes down in the books as a fantastic experience that I'd most definitely do again.........in ten years when I'm rested up from taking all of these decorations down. ;) Hiring helpers now....pays in pizza and non-stop entertainment from Hal. 

Merry Christmas to all!









No comments:

Post a Comment