Friday, November 26, 2010

Break Out the Mistletoe!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Goodbye turkey day, hello Christmas!! The Fannings have missed you. Yes, even Riley! I knew I could convert him into a Christmas fanatic! Or maybe he is just excited about Hallie's first Christmas...either way, it makes me smile! I have the festive music playing, the lights are lit and the tree is decorated. It is so funny how putting up a Christmas tree in the living room can bring such a sense of peace and happiness. Let the season begin!!!!!!!!!!

We kicked off the season last night by packing up all of the fall decorations and swapping those boxes for the Christmas containers. Woohoo!!!!! I was ready to go...but Riley kept trying to put the breaks on me. There was no stopping me. I was a decorating machine while Hallie looked on in wonder... "What the heck has gotten into my mom??"  Christmas, Hallie, CHRISTMAS!!!! I wonder how many times I can say Christmas in one post??? So far I've used the word 8 times. Think I can hit 30?? The thing I am most excited about.....teaching Hallie about tradition and reading her the Christmas story. She probably will not remember a bit of her first holiday season but we can pretend. A blending of new and old traditions began last night and I am certain that a few tears fell after we finished the first one....

#1: Hallie's pink tree: my girl and I found the perfect place for her girly tree and decorated it in style! Complete with mini pink tree skirt and tiny pink tinsel! Once we were finished she just kept staring at it in awe...
"It's all mine!!!?"

"Look, it's this big."

Mini pink trees below


#2: Charlie Brown Thanksgiving: The three of us enjoyed some great TV last night! Hallie watched Charlie Brown from her playmat and wouldn't take her eyes off of the screen. Safe to say she's a fan.

#3: Elf: Hands down, the best Christmas movie EVER! It never gets old! And we look forward to watching it each year on Thanksgiving night! However, Hallie missed this tradition because it was after bedtime. Maybe next year she can join in. It was past my bedtime too because I only made it through the first 45 minutes and I have no recollection of what happened after that. Exhausted!

#4: Yummy food: We already had this one covered earlier in the day so we were still so full from lunch that I couldn't even imagine eating dinner. I usually make chicken and noodles...maybe tonight
Black Friday. Ugh. I had planned to brave the craziness that is the day after Thanksgiving, but decided it would be best to stay in. It's a good thing too because the one tiny emergency trip I made to Garden Ridge for Christmas lights ended with me laying my stuff on the floor in line and walking out because I would have still been standing in line next December had I waited. No thank you. They didn't have the lights I was looking for anyway so no biggie. A couple strands of our new lights that have only been used one year were not working so Riley sent me out to find more thinking that I would enjoy a break from Halliesitting. This was after I told him that it was not okay to put half blue/half white lights on the house just because blue lights were the only one he could find at Walmart. And I don't mean half blue/half white as in every other color is different....I mean that he wanted to hang the white lights and then start with blue strands once the white ran out. He just laughed when I told him we would be "that house" in the neighborhood. I can hear him rustling on the roof above me right now....dear Lord, please keep my husband safe because I know that he is afraid of heights. ;)

To avoid Black Friday this morning, we all took our turns cyber shopping....

"How did you know I wanted Mustang parts for Christmas, dad?"

We had a very scary/hilarious moment this morning as we were decorating.....if it's possible to combine those two emotions, then this was the time. I mentioned that we had a little Houdini on our hands. Well, she has wiggled her way out of yet another place...her swing.
Vote now for Parents of the Year!

I jokingly put the swing right in front of the TV as we were moving furniture to make way for the tree. I thought it would give her a great view. :) Apparently she did not care much for the view because Riley found her like this. We were a few feet away from her but somehow she had rolled in her swing and was hanging halfway out. Seatbelt was built in for a reason I guess. But just for safety's sake, the swing is disassembled and waiting in the attic for our next little one to use (or fall out of). I still have no idea how she rolled like that but she definitely doesn't stay put anymore. Moral of the story: don't let Riley or I babysit your children.

This year's decorating-a-thon definitely topped last year's....a pregnant lady at the top of a ladder decorating the tree made for a nervous wreck husband. The sounds of baby laughter in the background as Riley played with Hallie trumped the sound of Emmi the puppy trying to eat the decorative balls last year! And of course there is the part where Hallie sat in her Bumbo and watched as Riley and I turned the tree lights on for her!
Riley and Hallie watched as I decorated all morning. Riley was a great help watching from his comfy chair as I moved furniture and did the heavy lifting...I heard this several times, "babe, you need to scoot that over a couple feet." In his defense, I will say that I go about 90 mph and don't need much help when it comes to decorating and putting up the tree. I had most of the tree assembled as he walked in and said "isn't the man supposed to do that?" Yeah, I guess, unless the man has a wife who has the patience of a two year old. I just couldn't contain myself!!!!! I'm thankful that he puts up with me. The tree is finished and so is the rest of the house. Now it's time to enjoy the peacefulness of it all and relax a bit.



Our cross-eyed Santa Baby



Doesn't this mean 7 years of bad luck??

The best Christmas present ever

"Is it naptime yet?"

No comments:

Post a Comment