Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Sponge

I have no other term for it. The girl is on a roll with learning new things this past week. Her little brain is soaking up everything we do and say. Scary, I know. I stand in amazement. I've been so busy learning with her that I haven't had much time to post this week about what we've been up to. Well now you know.....we've been sponges this week. I am excited to share some of her fun new "skills" mixed in with the goings on at the Fanning house this week. I typed "crazy week" and then hit the backspace to erase it because it just now donned on me that every week is crazy. Our new motto that I keep repeating this week is to "embrace the crazy." Riley is still working on repeating the chant with me. ;) And speaking of crazy, I just so happen to live with two of my very own "crazies"......



See what I mean? Crazies....

"I wonder if she knows that we think she's a crazy too?"

On Monday evening us girls did some cupcake making. Don't get your hopes up about sharing them with us. Trust me, you won't want to partake in the frosting......

Marking her territory

"I have no shame."

"I'm sorry. It all happened so quickly!"

Tuesday was a day I'd been looking forward to for quite some time. I had a doctor's appointment in OKC and had made a hair appointment with my favorite stylist, Becky. It had been since July that I had been able to get down there to see her and to give my hair some TLC. I dropped Hal off at daycare that morning and pulled into Garden Ridge for some shopping around 10:30. I have no idea how I made it there so quickly....maybe it was all the praying I did on the way for God to send me a teleportation device so that I could get places faster thus have more time to hit up all of my favorite places. That, my friends, did not happen. But I did mark several places off of my list....most of them being food places....not surprising at all sadly. ;) I did some damage at Garden Ridge. That store never even saw me coming....I really didn't have plans to stop there but my car has a mind of it's own. Where it leads, I must follow. Next stop was my doctor's appointment. Just a simple routine checkup so it was quick and easy. I was starving by this time and found a corner table at Panera and had a quick lunch alone. I've always felt sorry seeing elderly men eating alone in a restaurant. After dining by myself I now see the appeal of it. It's so peaceful. Just you and your food....and facebook of course. My first meal all alone left me wanting to eat alone more often. Sheesh! Hallie, promise me you won't be a loner like your parents.  I soon found myself chatting it up with Becky and having a great afternoon. She did her magic and I left with a very short new do. By request here is a picture of the my new cut...I guess I should want to document it seeing as how it will NEVER look this full of volume again. I swear hair stylists have super magic volume powers.....


I was being drawn towards the mall but my heart was wanting some Hallie time before she went to bed that night which meant I needed to get on the road. But not before two very important stops: Jamba Juice and Schlotzsky's. What used to be almost daily staples have now turned into special treats. It would be a sin not to partake. ;) While I was spending the day away, my homeland had some very pretty stuff falling from the sky. Hal got her first chance to frolic in the snow. After a timid start she quickly caught on to trudging through the snow. Watching this video made me that much more ready to get home.....



I came home to a very pretty backyard scene...


The scene going on earlier in the kitchen was not so pretty....

"Be glad you didn't come home to this mess, mom."

Let's just say that this wasn't the first time she has been covered from head to toe in food. Here's a funny dad story for ya. I tried to make preparing her dinner as easy as possible so I told him to heat up one of the Gerber microwave meals I'd picked up for situations such as that. Easy peasy. So when I got home and asked him what he fed her this was his response: "well I gave her that microwave meal you told me about, some turkey, a thing of yogurt, a bunch of blueberries and a banana. Well I'd say that was sufficient. Holy Moses! No wonder she was covered in food. They had a lot of cleanup to do during bathtime! Glad I returned home to a squeaky clean nakey lil girl running toward me when I came through the door. I got home just in time to snuggle with my girl before her bedtime. She brought me book after book and we curled up on the floor with her favorite blankie. As I began to read the first page of her favorite nursery rhyme book she immediately grabbed for her foot. "This little piggy went to the market...." She's got it figured out! I then flipped the page and started reading "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and the little stinker started to move her fingers up my arm like I do when to her when we read it. I looked surprised and she just answered with a big sly smile. We continued to flip through her favorite rhymes and she began reading mumbling along with me. Sweet, sweet moment. We enjoyed some "speed reading" after nursery rhymes. This involves her bringing me a hefty stack of books and handing them to me and flipping through the pages as fast as she can, tossing it to the side and picking up the next. Apparently this is funny because she laughs and smiles the whole time. Anytime we are snuggled up and reading I'm a happy, happy momma.

This week has been pretty crazy as far as work goes. I guess it's that time of year where everyone decides to get pneumonia, have a heart attack or need surgery. Despite my tail dragging the floor I was determined to at least remove the piles of dog hair that had accumulated throughout the week. When the sun shines in and all you can see is big clumps of Lucy's golden hair all over the floor it leaves me in panic mode. Needless to say, Wednesday night brought about some light cleaning and chores around the house. Luckily Hal decided to pitch in....

"Mom, my rugs need cleanin'!"

This was of course followed by some somersault training....

She's getting close

And finally it was time to get bathed and jammied up. Riley was on bath duty the night before and I hear they had a lot of learning going on in there. So here's the low down. They had lined up all of her animals on the edge of the tub and he named them one by one. He made the horse gallop across the side of the bathtub while saying "giddy up, giddy up, giddy up." Hal responded to this by picking up the horse and doing her own version of dad's cool trick. Sounded something like "gidda, gidda, gidda" while she made the horse jump up and down. Aw, melt my heart why dontcha. Wednesday night bath proved that our Hal was back to her bath lovin' days and she wasn't looking back. She was in full on bath time mode and ready to show me what she'd learned the night before. First order of business was to show me how her horse could "gidda, gidda, gidda." With no cuing she made her horse gallop for me. The learning didn't stop there. She rocked my socks off by placing each animal up on the bathtub ledge on command. I'd say turtle and she'd grab her turtle. I'd say horse and she'd grab her horse. Crab, octopus and duck followed behind. She even gave it a stab at saying her own version of turtle. "Tutu." The lineup was finished so I told her to let them all swim and she proceeded to knock them all back in the water. After her bath we made a cozy little pallet on the floor and got ready for reading time. But not before we did some counting. A family that counts together, stays together. Right? Isn't that how the saying goes? ;) We can say "Hallie, let's count!" and she will hold up both pointer fingers in the air to show off her "1s." We are still practicing 2, 3, 4 and 5 of course. But the girl has got one down. When we get to five we wave our hands which is something she has caught on to quickly.

We have had some wonderful mornings around our home this week. Hallie has been waking up in spectacular moods. Lots and lots of kisses and hugs. A great way to start out each day. This afternoon I discovered a lovely surprise was waiting on the doorstep for our family....


Gman had found a way to feed our sweet tooth teeth from afar. An early Valentine's Day gift just in time to satisfy my non-stop craving for anything and everything sweet. If this tells you anything, I ate three pieces of cheesecake for dinner on Wednesday night. Just cheesecake, that's it. Very nutritious. But hey, at least Gman's treat involved fruit!!!

"This doesn't look like fruit to me, mom"

A certain little sweet-lovin' munchkin couldn't wait to get her hands on the gorgeous box of treats. Can you really blame her?!?! Look how pretty it is....


As you can see I was a tad bit excited about my our treats. I have to keep telling myself they are not all for me, me, me. I probably won't have to worry about any being left for me to eat because something tells me that Hallie will do anything to get her hands on them. How do I know this? The monkey was found on the top rung of the bar stool. Impressive baby girl.....but please don't ever give me a heart attack like that again!

It's been a week well worth it. Her list of words has grown this week. I'm excited to say that we've added some interesting new ones to her vocabulary: purple, turtle, bee, bear. She likes to point out her purple sweatpants, purple coat and purple cup. Word to the wise: be careful what you say around this girl. It's only a matter of time......

P.S.- I cannot believe it has taken me this long to remember to tell you about "Sumo Hal." This is her alter ego. A wide-legged, waddling Sumo wrestler baby. She plays the part well.....big belly with a diaper on. The best part is that she immediately goes into "sumo mode" when I say the words "Sumo Hal" in a deep voice. HILARIOUS!!!!!!!! I'm still on a mission to get my little wrestler on video. Coming soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment