Wednesday, February 22, 2012

No Love for McDreamy

The day finally came. After a year and a half of fluttering her eyelashes at Dr. McDreamy she chose to end things. This was news to me as she hadn't shared her decision with me prior to getting into his office. And she didn't even break the news gently to him. Here I am getting ahead of myself again. Stay tuned for their break up drama down below......

First things first. She knew she had a decision to make. Her date with McDreamy was quickly approaching and she wanted to be mentally and physically prepared. After spending much time at daycare around boys her own age she has been questioning her crush on her beloved pediatrician lately. With all of these life altering decisions being made a good solid night's sleep was a must to prepare for the big day.....



A certain little lady was up bright and early with a fresh new perspective on life and ready to take on the day.....

"I feel confident that this is the right decision for where my life is headed..."

She didn't wake up by choice though...more like forced to wake up by the sound of our insanely loud back door lock Tuesday morning. I was forced out of bed as well by my silly alarm clock. Yesterday was a not-so-day-off kinda day off. I found myself up at 6:00 getting ready to go see a couple patients before we left for OKC. I had planned to get myself ready for the day and get the dogs loaded up and to the groomers without waking my loves but that wasn't the case. She heard me milling around and requested my presence in her room. I was happy to find a sweet little angel waiting for me in the crib. I loaded up the two hairy dogs and one snuggly, tired baby and we headed out a little after dawn. The babe went to Nanny's for the morning while the dogs got dropped off at the torture chamber for the entire day. I did my work duties and Hallie and I were on the road by 10:45.

We had a girl's day ahead of us with no real plans besides the doc appointment of course. We were loving the sunshine shining on us through the car window and all was well. Very uncharacteristic for a car ride with Hallie and for that I was feeling very lucky. It must've been the great supply of quality DVD selections she had to choose from......
Toy Story won!

She watched her movie while wiggling and squirming for a good hour and napped for the second hour. That left us with thirty more minutes to get to our destination. It wasn't the worst ride but it certainly wasn't the best. We were both beyond ready to get out of the car by the time we pulled into Panera around 1:00. I just love our little lunch dates. Panera is always a must-stop for me but it's also somewhat of a safe place to take a child. Well, kind of.Just as we found a seat and sat down to dig in.....

"Mom, my tummy is doing something funky"

....lunch seemed to be the best place to go to the bathroom not once, not twice, BUT three times. This was not the handiest situation since I had only brought one diaper in with us. Then after our trip out to the car I only brought one in to change her. So after two extra trips out to the car and three trips to the bathroom we found ourselves dining on two bowls of cold mac and cheese.
"We're gonna need some more of these...."

Now that I think about it, it's easy to see that her tummy was churning because of her impending meeting with her beloved McDreamy. Duh mom, so obvious. We had just enough time to get across town to his office and I had her undressed and ready for her big weigh-in right at 2:00. As always here is the customary post-scale diaper shot while waiting for the doc to arrive......

"I can't break up with him while I'm naked. Get me some pants at least to keep my dignity intact"

We only had to wait a couple minutes before he came walking through the door. Dun dun dun. He flashed his pearly white teeth and gave her a huge smile along with a big hello. This is when I figured out what was about to happen. She turned her back to him and requested to jump in my lap. He came closer to her, commented on her choice of footwear and grabbed her chubby little hand. She pulled it away with disgust and turned her head. Whoa. Talk about the cold shoulder. All joking aside, he had warned me during her last visit that kids usually respond very differently during their 15 and 18 month checkups. She was smitten as ever during her 15 month visit so I hadn't even given it a second thought about her actually being scared of him. Scared she was. She did not want that cold round thingy touching her belly. She did not want that pointy black thingy poking in her ears. And she certainly didn't want him poking and prodding around on her belly and legs. At one point he giggled and said "mom, she's giving me a look of complete terror." He dropped some of her favorite, most frequently used words to see if she would talk to him.....nope. He asked her to locate her body parts and she wanted nothing to do with the game. But when he prompted her to wave and say "bye bye" she was more than willing to do that as he walked out the door. So there you have it....she dumped him with a cold shoulder and her finest "bye bye" wave. Cold, girl. Cold.

In between her terror and shyness around him we did actually have a good visit. Our growing girl has had some BIG changes since her 15 month checkup. She had jumped up into the 38th percentile in height which was a huge surprise to me. I'm glad to see those Gman and Papa Bill genes finally kicking in. McDreamy was pleased to see this jump as well but didn't take long to share the news that she had jumped up into the 85th percentile in weight. He said she's still a growing girl and we won't worry about it as long as she doesn't jump up any on the weight chart at her two year appointment. I asked what he meant by saying "we won't worry about it"....he mentioned the 'd' word. Diet. My baby needs some warm spring weather and some time spent running outdoors. That's all. ;) All systems checked out great and he gave her the seal of approval. The little lady got a sucker and a sticker as we checked out....


She was on cloud nine as we walked out of the office with her sticky treat. She was a free, liberated woman after all....

"That's the last time I'll let a man call me chunky"

As I left the doctor's office today with my nearly nineteen month old I probably looked like I'd just seen a ghost. I had just scheduled my baby girl's TWO YEAR checkup appointment for crying out loud!! Whoa. This is crazy stuff. I can still picture us as brand new parents waiting in the doctor's office the morning after our first night at home with her...looking like a couple of complete amateurs with red swollen eyes and a baby who had just given us a run for our money. She's still doing that same thing.....we've just gotten a little better at this parenting thing.

Since we only spent fifteen short minutes at McDreamy's office it left us with a lot of extra mommy/daughter shopping time. We hit up Party Galaxy to gather some bridal shower goodies, Kirkland's where we scored some perfect stuff for Hallie's bathroom at home, Ross where I found some good deals on summer clothes for Hal and finally to Garden Ridge where we found too much stuff again. Dang, that always happens. ;) Oh but wait....one more stop.....


You got that right!

Like mommy, like daughter.....

Me thinks she's a fan of smoothies

She was ready for some rest and down time in the car and made sure to tell me all about it while we were at our last shopping stop...

"Seriously mom. Dad is going to kill you. Let's just stop while we're ahead."

The ride home was not bad at all. This is a relative statement you must remember. So relatively speaking, we had a pleasant ride home....

We found a couple of shaved and traumatized canines upon arriving home.....

Wouldn't even make eye contact with me

Do I really need a caption...just look at that look she's giving me

I, for one, was feeling good by the end of the day. Despite a lot of driving and some not so content moments on Hallie's part, it's always a day to appreciate when your child gets another clean bill of health. So much to be thankful for....and very little time spent thanking God on my part. In fact, yesterday made me slap myself on the wrist for griping and complaining so much. I have a healthy baby girl. What more could I ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment