Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hello 2011

The Fannings didn't actually say "hi" to 2011 until this morning. In true exhausted mom fashion, my head hit the pillow as soon as my girl was asleep in her crib. This was all after we partied, of course. We partied to celebrate many things. A wonderful year in 2010, a year to look forward to in 2011, Aunt B's birthday, and another year has passed since Grammy's heart transplant. NYE never really meant a lot to me. I think I have attended one actual NYE party and several church lock-ins but that's about it. Our new years eve celebrations always consisted of cuddling up on the couch with my parents and sister and watching Disney movies while we drank sparkling grape juice. But NYE has such a greater meaning now. I will never ever ever forget two years ago on December 30th when she got the call.....

"You might wanna start heading this way, we have a donor for Karen." Those may not be the exact words that the man told my dad, but I think it is something close to that. I do believe we made it to the hospital in record time, driving from Enid to Baptist Medical Center in OKC. My mom's health was failing her and she was on the verge of having to get an LVAT. "What the heck is an LVAT?", you ask. Ok, if you have ever seen that episode of Grey's Anatomy where Izzy cuts her boyfriends LVAT wire....ok, not ringing any bells....well it basically is a machine that substitutes for a heart. And it's a last resort. After one false alarm in early November, we were trying to be cautious about getting too excited about her getting a new heart that day. Well, she got a new heart...but it wasn't that day. We waited in overwhelming anticipation for 24 hours! And finally...she was wheeled into surgery at midnight. One of my favorite pictures ever.....

Her new heart fresh off the jet...precious cargo

What seemed like the entire family spent NYE 2008 in the surgery waiting room. But it wasn't your typical surgery waiting room because it was midnight...so that meant no volunteers dressed in those ugly smocks sitting at the front controlling the behavior of wild children. We were all wild children that night....








At 6:00 am we met the surgeon who had just performed this amazing surgery and heard the words that "everything went great."

I get so excited just writing about all of this because this whole event ignited my love for blogging. Grammy's caringbridge page became my obsession/job during my winter break. Most of our original crew celebrated with us last night, with a few people missing though.

Back to last night.....

My mom was thrilled to wear the huge "2" necklace on her chest last night. Actually I think I got an eye roll, but she wore it proudly and it was quite the fashion statement. Thanks to Dara, last night was definitely entertaining. Thanks to my parents for letting me use their house for my parties I decide to throw on a whim.


Hallie Grace had slept for a record amount of time that afternoon and was rested and ready to party....









Planning a party for me usually involves making lists and going to the store to get supplies days in advance. This year, with everything going on at once, my planning included calling to order the food the night before, buying a cake once I got to Enid, and running into the dollar store for a piece of poster board, a sharpee, and a package of paper hearts. The dollar store items are all part of a game our family calls "Pin the heart on Karen." My art skills blossom more each year as I attempt to draw an outline of my mother....


One thing is for sure, the rules are never the same and everybody cheats. Except for Aunt Lisa...


As I watched my mom go through months of hospital stays and so many painful procedures, my prayer was that she would be healthy again to enjoy her grandchildren one day. And here we are, we have come full circle....


Even if her grandchildren aren't always enjoying life themselves.....


Next year's party may have to include a game of "Pin the kidney from Sharon to Karen."

So far, all 17 hours of 2011 have been amazing! Today has been my definition of THE perfect day. I jumped out of bed refreshed after 8 straight hours of uninterrupted sleep to find my baby had been bathed, fed, and dressed in her best Sooner gear. 10 points for dad!!!


This, of course, is only because of how I dressed Hal on Wednesday morning for the Alamo Bowl.....

Cowboys good luck charm

Wow, now that is growth. Both of us able to dress our baby in rival gear. Baby steps.

Finally having Riley back home after a VERY LONG WEEK was an awesome way to start out the new year. Also very relaxing. Because of course I'm playing the "but you haven't had to take care of her all week" card. And he doesn't mind a bit. He missed his girl for sure! But today is a rare gem in Hallie World...the girl hasn't had one crying outburst, hasn't been mad, hasn't thrown a tantrum. Not even once. I know, I'm sure Grammy is wondering if we sedated her. Nope, she must just want to start a clean slate of good behavior for 2011! Let's hope and pray so! To quote Riley, she is "the dream child" today. Swinging in her portable swing, feeding herself with her bottle, and taking mini naps between Baby Einstein sessions and playing with mom and dad. And of course buying Beatles music on Itunes...


"Dad, you forgot Hey Jude."

This being one of our last weekends in our first home that we love so much...I am so blessed to have a relaxing, peaceful start to the new year with my happy, little family. Key word being "HAPPY".....




No comments:

Post a Comment