Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11: We Remember



I was in 1st block, Advanced English Comp class with Mrs. McDonald. I hated that class. The windows behind me were open and a breeze was flowing in. We were busy reading. Probably another boring book that I wasn't comprehending. Mrs. McDonald suddenly flipped the radio on and tuned into a news station. I remember hearing coverage of what was unfolding in NYC. To be honest, I didn't understand the magnitude of this at all. In fact, I was in my own high school senior "LaLa Land" probably worrying about some stupid boy. We stopped our lesson plans for that day and listened to coverage for the remainder of the hour. Even through all the chatter in the hallways I still didn't grasp what had happened....until I got home. I remember sitting and watching the news coverage with my dad. He was glued to the tv sitting literally two feet away from it. I just remember asking him question after question since I knew he'd been listening to talk radio all day like normal. Watching the stories, reports and footage in the privacy on my own home is when it finally set in. I was mad. So angry about the events of that horrible day. I sat in fear thinking about the possibilities and what this meant for the future of our safety. I did nothing but watch the events unfold. But this is what my husband did.......



How can one day bring about so many mixed emotions? A day of horror and sadness. A day of events that give me chills everytime I see footage or hear stories of victims and their families. A day that changed this country we live in. But also a day of American pride. It was this very day ten years ago that inspired Riley to join the United States Marine Corps. If it were not for the selfless acts of the brave men and women in our armed forces, I am almost certain we would be living in a different kind of world.

On our TO DO list is a trip to the 9/11 Memorial Museum when it is finished next year. It's one thing to see it on TV, but to actually be at the sight looking at twisted pieces of steel that once supported the symbolic towers and the mangled FDNY trucks will be an entirely different experience.

Today we remember.




No comments:

Post a Comment