Friday, July 11, 2014

Summer Snapshots & Stories

So here's our summer thus far lumped into one big slew of pictures. That's the way I seem to be doing things lately here on the blog so I'm just going to embrace the fact that I've got my hands full (okay, even more full now) and it's okay to be two months behind. Back to May we go!

One of my favorite things to do every year is plant pretties on my porches. This year I lacked motivation, energy and the ability to do all of the shopping, lifting and planting that I really wanted to do. Good thing I had a couple of helpers willing to do the heavy lifting. Riley was motivated by the fact that he could use his new toy (an old Chevy that had belonged to his Uncle Max) to haul the goods to the front of the house. Hal supervised while taking in an afternoon snack. Imagine that....
 

The finished product turned out wonderful and we ended up planting seven pots full of flowers. Hal kept them alive and well for us while I was in the hospital in OKC. When I got to come home one of the first things she told me was how she helped the flowers live.....
 

Time with friends is one of our favorite things in life and we've been doing plenty of that this summer. Hal has been on cloud nine since the Rogers family moved in across the street. Every evening...."mommy, can I go play with Lily, Kyler and Rylen?!?!? PLEASE!?!?!"  We've had a few cookouts and play dates at their house since summer began. I love this for two reasons....I get to chat with my sweet friends and Hal wears herself out for bedtime with the kiddos....

  
 
See what I mean?
 

Hal had an impromptu week of fun with her favorite cousin at Nanny and Papa's house while Riley and I were in OKC during my little preterm labor scare.  Nanny and Papa had their hands full with both girls but it sounded like they kept busy with swimming, playing and this fun evening at Dairy Queen where they splashed around in rain puddles and ate popsicles...


Hal took her first dip in David and Lisa's pool this summer while we took up residence at their house when I got out of the hospital to rest. She took a dip in the pool at least three times each day and insisted on wearing her undies instead of her suit. Even though it was freezing she had only thumbs up to give....
 
 
 
Hal and I donned our brightest red to show our love and support for the Boring family in the Classic Bowl parade in May. Being big, fat and pregnant Lauren had mercy on me and asked me to ride in the truck while she drove the float. I happily obliged. The kiddos (looking mighty cute) took up spots in the back of the truck ready to toss candy in all directions. They did a great job and managed not to eat it all before the parade began.....
 



Just a couple of the main reasons I love Woodward...these two ladies <3
 
 
Chris and Lauren's campaigning efforts and hard work paid off and he easily won the District Attorney race in June. What an exciting night! We celebrated the victory with a watch party across the street at the Rogers house while Hallie and Austin played at our house with the sitter.

The Boiling Springs pool was renovated this year and we've had the treat of swimming there after hours on two occasions this summer. Our first evening of fun was with our Sunday school class. I can't even describe how much joy our class brings to our lives but it's been a growing blessing that keeps getting better with each person/kiddo/family that enters our big happy Sunday school "family". Riley got his workout in with all of the other dads as they trekked up the stairs to the slide over and over and over. The smiles on the kids faces and watching the dads have to do all of the work was highly entertaining to all of us moms looking on....



Riley's little kid came out in him


Vivi and Brian

Sweet Kadence

A shivering Cookie Monster...Mr Aiden

Megan and her snuggly guy Bodey



The swimming and fun in the sun continues with our thrilling afternoon in Cason's backyard. Jennifer hosted Rachelle, Lauren, RaeLynn, Sarah, TeNeil and I along with all of our kiddos for a day of sliding, swinging and jumping around in this incredible outdoor pool/slide.....



The moms caught up on life in the shade while the kids snacked and played. New baby girl Audrey was passed around while we shared plenty of pregnancy/birth/mommy stories that had me even more anxious for Bella to arrive. We ordered pizza that evening because we just weren't ready to head home quite yet. A blast was had by all......







I'm sure the trend is becoming pretty obvious by now. Yep, I'm about to take about a lot more swimming. Ha! We've been making some memories in our own backyard as well....











Can't forget swimming lessons! Hal had two weeks worth of lessons this summer thanks to Nanny being a huge help with getting her there and back several of the days. The Meinders girls were wonderful with the group of kiddos and Hal looked forward to going every morning. She started off pretty timid with all of the activities they asked her to do. Some she wouldn't even attempt. She'd just flash a shy smile and shake her head no. I tried to be quiet and sit back calmly without being pushy mom. The two weeks paid off and she gained so much confidence and is able to put her head under water and improved her kick and floating skills. We still have a ways to go but this is a big jumpstart....
 

 
Carmen was in one of the groups that swam each morning as well. Lookin' cute as a button in her new bikini I might add....


Hal and I have been recruited a handful of times to be garage assistants for daddy while he works on various parts of his new project. On this particular occasion we were trying to stay cool while helping his "bleed the brakes".....whatever that means. 



 

Morning play dates with donuts and friends and kiddos and our new babies have been a nice little slice of heaven since my maternity leave began.....



Family time is sweet. Especially watching these two girlies grow up together....


Our second trip to Boiling Springs pool was to celebrate friend Kaleigh's 6th birthday party. Hal showed off her bravery by leaping to daddy...about a billion times....
 

Hallie F. and Hallie V. were excited to pose by Anna and Elsa at the party.....
'
 

Hal faced her biggest fear (well, second only to spiders) and let Rachelle (and Lily) help her change out her earrings. It was quite an ordeal (considering it was Hal's own idea) but after an hour of flapping, running away, nervous giggles and then just straight up holding her down she had some pretty new purple earrings. Ha! 


 
 
Let's see....what else is new.....oh yeah....we had a baby!!! We think she's pretty awesome...
 
 
 
 
There ya have it....our summer thus far. Surely there are lots more memories to be made with birthday parties, playdates, family get togethers and getting geared up for the start of school. It's hard to believe (and honestly something I try to avoid thinking about) that school is about to start in a month and I'll be sending my first baby off to big kid school. Ugh. And yay. But mostly ugh. She's getting so big. Literally. She's solid as a rock. I hadn't picked her up in quite awhile and just now got the chance to hold her again after having Bella. I was in for quite the surprise. And in addition to being too grown up she's also way too silly. But I know who's to blame for that.....
 

 
 
Roll on sweet summertime, roll on......
 



No comments:

Post a Comment