Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Dance Diva's Big Day

My sentimental side just overflows with ooey gooey warm fuzzies when it comes to this post. My baby's first dance recital. First off, how is my baby big enough to actually be in a dance recital? And secondly, how am I old enough to have a baby who is in a dance recital? And lastly, is there anything cuter than three-year-olds wiggling around in fluffy pink costumes? Heavens no. Sheesh, the hormones were out of control and the crying was impossible to keep in check during this weekend of watching my tiny dancer. Dancing is kind of a big deal here in Woodward. Or so I've been told. I was naturally a bit timid and honestly fearful of jumping into the role of dance mom as the recital approached. Obviously, being so young, she only had one costume and two short dances so it wasn't an all day event but I wanted to make sure everything was just right. And what I mean by that is I hoped we could avoid any tantrums and screaming fits. For the most part we did and things went about as smoothly as they could have (minus one short-lived episode of monster behavior). Let's start with rehearsal.....



After I'd fed her, packed her bag, finished her makeup, sprayed her hair with what seemed like an entire can of hairspray and slipped her costume on I stood back and wondered how on earth we could get lucky enough to repeat that seamless of a process two days in a row. I was struggling with the whole makeup thing. Heck, I can't even put makeup on myself let alone another human being. And the hair....struggled with the hair thing too. But in the end I think she was scrumptious and oh so cute! Hal sat with her little friends while we waited to get instructions from the stage.....


I was so thankful to have another new dance mom right by my side! Love this lady and her pretty lil dancer....


Rehearsal was a success with no tears, no tantrums and lots of dancing from Hal. She shook her groove thing the most during the finale which had me in stitches. Nanny, Uncle Danny and Aunt Norma came to peek in on her two dances since they wouldn't be able to make it to the actual recital the next day. The group of littles made all of us mommas so proud....


These girls have been the best little carpool buddies all year long....


Miss Taryn has been wonderful with the kiddos all year. Anyone who can teach girls this age is a saint in my book! 


Hal was pooped by the end of rehearsal....

Faking a smile to escape

That night we unwound and spent some time out at Boiling Springs with family for a cookout. I also managed to whip up this request from the queen. Pink and purple cake with an H on it....


The big day had arrived and we, like heathens, missed church to prep for the recital. Well, one of us was ready to prepare....the other one was giving a bit of resistance.....

THIS is what she wanted to wear to dance in

Riley left early to go save seats down front and I started the makeup/hair/costume process all over again. Oops! Forgot to feed her this time! That may have been the cause of the meltdown that quickly took place once I told her it was time to put her makeup on. Even her new little makeup bag with pink lipstick in it didn't help with the coercive efforts. Luckily the tears weren't able to do much damage before Aunt B arrived and came to the rescue. She is so much more qualified in the makeup department anyhow.....
 

Now this was a precious moment to watch. Even though Hal was being a silly toot most of the time it was so sweet to watch these two together....



Finally we were loaded up and ready! In an attempt of bribery I immediately led my girl to the gift tables where we hunted down her special flowers and candy from mommy and daddy. She was so surprised since she hadn't been expecting any gifts!




"Are these mine?"

Just had to get a whiff

That goofy smile is too much!


The dressing room was swarming with dancers running every which way. My pregnant dance mom anxiety kicked in and it escalated even more when Hallie started rubbing her eyes and pulling at her hair. Note to self: distract her next time....DO NOT tell her that rubbing will make it worse...because then she will keep rubbing. :/ A reapplication of her makeup was in order. We had a brief moment of shyness/fear as she was asked to line up to head on stage....she clung to my leg for about a minute but reluctantly let go and walked off with her group. Here are a few shots from backstage....



Snackin' and posin' with the beautiful Miss Harper


Ashtyn and Angie surprised Hallie with a gift!

So much sass

Two peas in a pod

I went and took my seat with the fam and leaned over to tell Riley I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't go out on stage for the first dance. I was looking down getting the video camera ready when Riley leaned over to tell me she didn't end up coming out with her group. My heart sank. Oh wait....hubby is a big fat liar. Ha! I looked up panicked and there she was smiling ear to ear after she had spotted her row of fans! She did her thang up on that stage....literally....her own thang.  See what I mean.....

"And this is where I'll insert a high kick...."


But in all seriousness, she did a fantastic job and made us so proud! Lots of giggles and tears from this momma! 

Back on track ;)

She was relieved to take off her scratchy costume and put on her recital tee for the finale....or more like she was excited to run freely and play with her friends....




Act I flew by (for me anyway....Riley and the family tell another story) as I was running back at forth in the auditorium from the dressing room to our seats. The finale was so spunky and fun!



Miss Shay, Miss Brenda and Miss Taryn

Big bow at the end
 


She goofed off backstage for awhile after Act I was through....








Can't forget the Dance Dad!





Lisa, David, Meg, Gman, Spencer and Aunt B all came back to our house after the dancing was done to share some dessert with us. Hal posed for pictures by her cake and somehow resisted her overwhelming urge to poke her fingers in her cake.....



Recital #1 is in the books and it was certainly a day to remember! That face! That big bow! Those chunky little legs! Those dance shoes! I'm biased but heavens she's so cute! 



*****The dance class had one last opportunity to get dressed up in their costumes for a short performance at the Woodward Senior Center thanks to Nanny. Hal surprised us with an extremely brave display of her patriotism when she said the pledge to open up the evening in front of a room full of people. The girls were well received and did a great job! 


 
 
 



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment