Friday, February 22, 2013

A Busted Week

Lil Red kicked off the other week with a big red busted lip that she earned at the gym. She was none too happy to be leaving with a mouthful of blood and a swollen pouty frown......


The amount of blood that was coming out of her mouth had me in a panic. I thought maybe she'd had a tooth knocked out. Nope, just a busted lip. With lots of screaming to accompany the blood. We heard about her lip ALL NIGHT. All. night. She had a bit of a lisp for a couple hours because of the size of her lower lip but she sure didn't mind talking all about her "hurt wip." Please do tell me how anyone could resist this face???


She had all but forgotten about her little booboo the next day until we headed toward the gym. She began squirming in her carseat telling me all about how she was "got hurt and bweed." After the Hallie drama faded we had a fairly uneventful week. Untillllllllllllllll.....FRIDAY. Friday was the day we had been anxiously anticipating for a couple of months. My friend, Ashley, and her daughter, Jaley, were making the trip from Edmond to Woodward to stay with us for the weekend. Excited wasn't the word. I had planned our meals for the weekend, finished doing my grocery shopping and made sure the house was all spic n span for our guests. Hallie and I chatted about her friend's impending arrival before she fell asleep that night. Well, I suppose that was a wrong statement. She never really fell asleep. The lil lady caught some zzzz's from 10:30 to midnight. That was when I heard her calling for me. I was still awake blogging like the idiot I am. I found a very fidgety and uncomfortable girl. A hot, fidgety uncomfortable girl. One dose of Motrin later I decided that it might just be a long night ahead of us so I retired to bed. For two hours. Across the house I heard Hallie shouting (through crying) "mommy, I frowed up on my bed!" And so began what we'll call Barf Fest 2013. She was beyond miserable and didn't sleep a wink all night long. I was pushing fluids into her like crazy but they were not staying down whatsoever. She wanted to curl up on the couch with her babydoll and blanket. Well, until she threw up on her blanket. Then she was grossed out and wouldn't even let me put clean clothes back on her. This seemed to be the spot that made her content......


Around 5:00 a.m. I thought for sure we were on the verge of seeing some actual sleep. Untilllllllllllll......Emmi jumped down from the couch to move spots and Hallie decided that she wanted to move as well.....


Wide awake again and this time she wanted the tv on. I was surprised at how strong her will was that night. Feeling like poo poo was not stopping her from being demanding and bossy. When I didn't turn the tv on immediately she began repeating a mantra of "turn tv on, turn tv on, turn tv on, turn tv" in the most pathetic and sad little voice. The rest of the night, er, I mean morning crawled by slowly until Riley was up for work which meant the start of a new day. I made a run to Walgreens for some essentials.....


Lil Red started requesting food around 9:00 Friday morning. Crackers and cheese sticks were on her mind. Well that is until....well, you know. Poor girl was done with the whole eating thing for the rest of the day. Except for these Pedialyte popsicles that my sweet friend, Cari, dropped off on our doorstep that morning. Thank goodness for amazingly generous friends in town! 

Front door service

I finished texting Kourtnei to cancel our morning run, Jai to cancel our lunch plans and Ashley to let her know that our fun weekend would have to be put on hold. Not gonna lie....I cried. It could've been the sleep deprivation in combo with being supremely bummed. My heart just broke everytime she'd try to talk to me....her little voice was so raspy and she'd wince everytime she tried to swallow.


After cleaning up yet another huge mess I decided that it was time to get her to the doc. Daddy to the rescue as always and we were sitting in the exam room within fifteen minutes. This was how Hal felt about getting out of the house.....


Lovin' life at this point in the car.....


Even the toy box at the clinic couldn't cheer her up.....



Diagnosis: strep throat. Congestion, sore throat, fever, red ears and a headache. We had meds and a plan. The rest of the day involved a LOT of snuggling. And an early bedtime for both of us. I was surprised about the early bedtime considering she FINALLY fell asleep for a nap Friday evening after taking her first dose of antibiotics. She woke up around 7:30 in a pretty awesome mood everything considered but was soon curled up on the couch looking puny.  But that was all about to change. Gman had hitched a ride to Woodward with a friend to pick up Riley's truck which he was buying from us. Riley was busy getting it spotless before my dad arrived and I hadn't even had a chance to tell Hallie he was coming because he surprised us with his plans. Thank goodness for a thoughtful daddio.....he wanted to find a way out to us in case Hallie wasn't better by Sunday (the day we had planned to take the truck to him in Enid). Hal actually pried herself from the couch and put on shoes (albeit two different shoes...but shoes nonetheless) to greet G at the door. He came bearing balloons and gifts for munchkin. He and Aunt B did some Valentine's Day shopping and surprised her with two big bags of goodies. Meg had also sent a special lunch box and a couple of horsies for the Halster that she adored. Does this look like the face of a sick little gal?????



Heavens no! She had suckers to lick on, chocolate to munch on and her grandpa to play with. The paranoid mom inside me was flipping out about the amount of candy she was eating seeing as how she basically had nothing on her stomach. But eat she did. 


And play she did. In her two different shoes....


I was so elated to see her spunky spirit back.....


She ate at least five suckers, put on ten bandaids, rummaged through the goodies several times to make sure she hadn't missed anything. Gman kept us company for awhile until it was getting late. I think he was chomping at the bit to get in and take a drive in his new truck. He joked that he'd never bought a truck before test driving it but that he supposed he trusted his son-in-law enough. His presence sure helped make the evening a lot more pleasant than I think it would've been had he not visited. I think Hal was super tired of me by the end of the day. Despite my fears of no sleep, we all got a good solid eight hours and kicked off the morning with lots of rest. Sis was wanting nothing other than lying in her sick spot on the couch and watching Dora. Crackers were all she requested until she heard that Nanny was coming to play with her. She perked up quite a bit, picked out the perfect outfit and then waited patiently by (and on) the window.....


Hide n seek

Nanny came bearing balloons and a big hug....


I escaped from the confines of the house for an hour or so while I went on a run in the beautiful Saturday morning weather. That afternoon we had more visitors including this lil lady.....



Kylie, Papa Bill and baby Lola came for some Hallie hugs and we said goodbye knowing we would see then in just a couple short hours for Kylie's birthday dinner at Katie's house that evening. A three hour afternoon nap left my girl energized and feeling so much better. Carmen and Hallie were busy that evening and I was so happy to see her finally feeling like herself again. Lola thought she was just one of the girls as they rode the horsie, played puzzles and ran around......



Precious dog knew how to lift the pieces out of the puzzle

Luke cooked a prime rib for dinner and it was delicious as always. Hallie scarfed down almost every bit of her dinner which was just another sign that she was almost back to normal.....

Milk for two, please!

Dinner was a success and since she was still going strong we decided to go show our main man some support at his church league basketball game. Kaleigh and Hal shared some snacks and her game in between cheering for their daddies...



Everything was hunky dory until someone decided to get stuck in between the wall and the bleacher....

Pre needing to be pried out

I couldn't help but snap a shot of this awesome group of men. We are simply blessed with an amazing church family.....


They came away with a win and Jai and I had plenty of good laughs watching them. Shhh. Don't tell them we laugh in the stands. By the time we got home I was worried that I'd worn Hal out too much because she had no interest in anything. She even requested to go to bed early. And I regret not shuffling her to bed the minute she asked. It turns out she caught her second wind about five seconds after sharing her desire to hit the hay. Just when I thought we'd finish with a very quiet evening she decided to change all that. I was finishing up some online billing for work which was really cramping her plans to have her piggies painted. I told her to wait five minutes but she's too much like her momma...no patience. The next thing I knew I heard something break on the floor and in walked Lil Red covered in pink polish. I didn't even want to see the damage as I rounded the corner to our bedroom and then into the bathroom. A busted week....and busted lip....busted plans....and now a busted bottle of nail polish all over the tile, white door, door frame and CARPET (ahhhhh). And of course all over Hallie. I still can't quite figure out how a tiny bottle produced such a ginormous mess. Riley and I ran for the magic eraser, carpet cleaner, rags, WD40.....guess which one removed the polish from the tile?? Who would've thunk it....WD40 was magic. And I'll give lots of props to the magic eraser as well. Although it did too good of a job at removing things and stripped the paint right off the door as I scrubbed. Eeeesh!! The culprit should above us swaying back and forth with her hands behind her back and the cutest, most irresistible smile on her face. She'd say "what doing mommy daddy?" every few seconds. She received a firm look and a "get to the other room" point. Yet she seemed to want to stick around and watch....and help. She managed to bring me an entire roll of soaking well toilet paper that she'd dipped in the toilet to help with the cleanup process. Awesome. It seemed apparent that she wasn't going anywhere and I wasn't about to force her in the moment. The very last thing we needed was screaming and crying on top of the stress of saving the flooring. So we sent her on a mission to get another rag. Along her journey she met with the side of the door....door to lip. Another busted lip. Cue the drama.

Sunday morning she woke up around 7:45, requested a nap at 7:46, got dressed for church at 8:00, requested another nap at 8:20, then proclaimed that she needed her Bible and was ready to go. I had my doubts....


Church perked the lil darlin' up....


She was down for the count early that afternoon in hopes that she could get some good zzzzz's before Gman arrived for a visit that afternoon. I'm surprised she actually slept with all the clutter around. Her LeapPad, slinky and birthday crown kept her company while she snored away.....


Dad showed up around 3:30 and had these pretty little beauties in his hands for me. He sure knows how to make a daughter feel special.....


He rode with me to the church to drop off a cake and by the time we got back Hal was stirring a bit so we thought we'd speed up the process by sneaking in to say hello. It took her awhile to come out of her after-nap funk but once she was fully awake she was on fire....


The three of us were entertained with puzzles, games, tea parties, playing chase and reading books inside because of the cold temps. Gman two days in one weekend!?!?! We're some lucky ladies!!!


That evening she seemed to be back to her normal spunky self begging for "chocit" and singing her ABCs....


It was certainly nice to end the weekend on a very good note with a peaceful day spent at home. Riley and Hallie have their pre-bedtime antics that they do each night. He runs to her bed, grabs her baby and LeapPad and pretends to be Hallie. When she tries to get in her bed he shouts "no, this is my bed!" She giggles and laughs and falls on the ground. I love it everytime I see it.....


After a quick pajama change due to the chocolaty mess she was one tired puppy ready for bed. A busted week turned peaceful and sweet.....


Lip is healed, sickness is gone and our rain-check weekend with Ashley and Jaley is in three short weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment