Wednesday, May 1, 2013

It's Race Season! Run for your Life!

Let it be known: Riley has declared himself officially "out of retirement from the running scene." He's back for more y'all. Those ol' knees have got a few more hundred miles left in them and I couldn't be happier. In fact, he's agreed to be crazy with me and sign up for five races! He planned our first run of the "season" so it should come as no surprise that it was the Remember the Ten Run in Stillwater. I was game! Nothing makes me happier than sharing a love for something with him. So off we went to his ol' stompin' grounds on April 19th. Aunt Kylie was gracious enough to let us borrow a bed at her house that night. It couldn't have been a more perfect location.....we basically walked out her door, strolled down the sidewalk less than a block and there was the starting line. How's that for convenience!? What wasn't convenient was the time we left Woodward that night. I had grand plans to get there in time to take Kylie out to eat so we could sneak in a yummy carby meal before the rice. We didn't pull into town until 9:45 so we settled for sandwiches and an early bedtime. We were able to hang out a bit while Hal wound down. Hallie got busy lecturing Lola the bulldog on "no jumping" and these two showed off their new matching glasses....

Ain't that cute!?

Hallie slept surprisingly well in her pack and play (I had my doubts for sure seeing as how she barely fits in that thing these days) and woke up ready to take on the day. There was a nice chill in the air but the perfect running weather. Hal and Riley stepped out the door to check out the temps...


Lil Miss requested chicken enchiladas that Kylie had leftover in the fridge for breakfast. Random....


Nanny and Papa arrived that morning right before the race to cheer us on and keep an eye on Hal while Kylie went across campus for a school assignment. Hal was dressed neutrally in green. Like I told Nanny, the girl just doesn't have an orange jacket to wear....it's such a shame (insert sarcasm).....so if you OSU fan/family members are reading this you know what you have to do if you want to see her in orange in Stillwater. ;)-


Once over by the finish line Hal got busy scoping out the trophy table. I guess she thought her mom and dad were both winners. Such a thoughtful little gal.....


Nanny got creative with this license plate while chasing Hal up and down the escalator....


We started getting lined up at the start around 9:00 with Hallie, Nanny and Papa waiting and watching. The gun sounded around 9:30 and off we went. I stuck with Riley for a good quarter of a mile until his high gear kicked in and we went our separate ways. That boy can run! I enjoyed the course and the quiet time by myself with my feet hitting the pavement. I even ran into (well, not literally) a fellow Woodwardite during the race and finished the last 3 miles or so with her. It was nice to have someone to chat with and someone to keep me motivated and going strong. Riley finished around the 47 minute mark and I came in just a few seconds over 50 minutes. Talk about a big surprise! The last 10K I ran I was about 25 pounds lighter, six years younger and had a LOT more energy....so you can imagine my shock when I finished with a quicker time than that race six years ago. Strange....but hey, I'll take it! Here are some pics at the finish line.....


This shot that Riley took couldn't have been at a better time. I was giving him my "my stomach is feeling iffy" face along with some hand motions as I was coming up on the finish line.....


We were both shocked to find out our results: Riley finished 10th in his division and I finished 6th.....


After the race we met up with the rest of the Fanning runners. Tom, Michelle, Emily and Jake all ran the race too!



Bill, Riley and I stayed back to watch the awards be handed out while Nanny and Hal went on a run to Braum's. Hal bit in to her first big ice cream cone. Wow! Nanny is brave to let this happen in her backseat. But those two are goooooooood....the girl returned without a spot on her.....


After lunch back at Kylie's house we all walked over by Joe's to check out what was going on before some of the group went to watch the spring game......

"I mustache you how cute I look?"

In this case...very very cute!

Oh yeah....that's a good look Ky!

These three left Nanny, Hal and I to play a bit while they headed to the stadium...


Hal played her little heart out on the giant slide and climbed up it all by herself. I was a nervous wreck watching her on the way up but she assured me that things were A-okay......

"Don't sweat it Ma!"

"I'm totally in connnttttttrrrrroooooool!"

We had to painstakingly practice waiting in a long line. Let's just say it didn't go so well...

Miss line cutter right here

We had a rosy-cheeked girl on our hands who needed some quiet time so we strolled back to Kylie's house. Nanny left for OKC so Hal and I spent the next two hours relaxing. We were both pooped. But not pooped enough to actually take a nap. Wellllll, until we got strapped in the car to head home.....


It was a quick trip but a great one. Thanks for Aunt Ky for letting us take over her house with books, blankets and snacks! We will definitely be running in this race next year...and the year after that and the year after that....until the year that Hallie can run in it with us!




No comments:

Post a Comment