Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ashley Squared + The Minis

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that Hallie and I just spent a full weekend with one of my oldest friends and her sweet baby girl. I just can't quite figure out how we have already made it to this point in our lives. At the risk of sounding horrendously cliche, I must say it seems like just yesterday that we were having sleepovers, going to junior high dances, obsessing over Friday night movie theater seating charts, fretting over stupid boys, making up ridiculous dances, passing secret-filled notes between classes in the hallway, oogling over the football players from the sidelines as team managers and sharing anything and everything that was on our minds....because after all, we were the bestest of best friends. With this next statement I'm taking a big risk at sounding cheesy but I really don't mind.....it must've been fate that brought us two Ashleys back together. After years without talking it seemed that timing was on our side for us to reconnect in time to witness eachother's weddings....and as luck would have it we ended up in the same apartment complex as newlyweds....she and her husband moved into the apartment below Riley and I. Might I add that this apartment community was rather ginormous. Fate. That's all I can think to call it. It seemed this weekend as if we'd never skipped a beat. We were still those goofy girls but with little goofy girls of our own now. 

This was attempt #2 at girl's weekend. Attempt #1 ended up turning into this. Hallie and I prepped all day Friday for Ashley and Jaley's arrival. I was in hostess overdrive trying to make sure I'd crossed all my T's and dotted every I. There was nothing "off" about the day off. Hal and I were on the go nearly the entire day doing this and that. After a week that left me huffing and puffing trying to catch my breath, it was wonderful to put work to the side and focus on other things. I utilized her nap time for cleaning and making the enchiladas that we were going to eat that night. Hal napped for a record four hours which allowed me to get quite a bit accomplished. I even snuck in a six miler after Riley got home from work. Ask me how excited I was about that!??!?! ;) Our friends pulled into the drive around 6:30 and we ran out to say "hi" and get Jaley Kay out of her carseat. It sounded like she did great on the long drive and had a lap full of Cheerios to show for it. First things were first: Ash wanted a tour of the house. Hal was excited to show Jaley her bedroom and playroom. The girls got to playing right away. Hal had some problems pronouncing her name....it kept coming out like "Kadie"...which had us laughing....which had her confused. "Kadie" didn't seem to mind her new name though. So "Kadie" she was for the remainder of the weekend. Hal suddenly suggested a trip to the park and some oranges to take along for the ride. So that's just what we did......


Hal showed Jaley the neighborhood park and it was evident right away that they were going to get along just fine....


The park was a short-lived plan when Hal decided to wander back down the hill to her wagon and demand to leave. So we headed back home for what else but more PLAY TIME!!!


The one and only time I met Jaley was when she was a wittle bitty baby. I've watched her grow up on Facebook and admired her sweet face from afar. But let me tell ya, this little gal is just as sweet as she looks...if not sweeter. She wanted to cuddle with me and sit in my lap....unlike Miss Independent....

Grizzo's lap is a lot comfier than momma's I suppose

Dinner was finally ready so we all sat down to chow down. Hallie actually lasted an impressive fifteen minutes at the table seeing as how she had a friend her own size sitting next to her. I was one tired momma by 9:00 and more than ready for Lil Red's bathtime and bedtime. The girls didn't protest a nice long bubble bath, no sirree! They had a blast together!

"What!?! You mean "Kadie" is staying the whole weekend?!"


After bath was spent having one last sip of their cups while checking out the fun that the laundry room had to offer....

Now this is what I'm talkin' about!! Help with laundry!!! Yay!

Bedtime wasn't quite as easy to sell to my munchkin as bathtime was. Jaley and her momma spent some time falling asleep in the playroom while Hal thought of every excuse she could to keep from having to fall asleep. Take for example her strong desire to put on these crocheted socks and pants over her pair of pajamas. She just wanted in on all the fun and didn't want to miss a minute....at least that's my theory....


The girls finally gave in and closed their eyes which meant it was time to bust out the old scrapbooks from the closet. I must say it had been quite a few years since I'd looked through them and wow is all I have to say!! Awkward city!!!! We laughed and laughed while trying to explain to Riley some of our funniest and fondest stories. He was a good sport and listened intently (ha!) as we took a trip down memory lane. We hadn't reached the end of the lane yet but we were both beat and ready for some shut eye around midnight. Our girls were mighty generous and slept in until a little after 8:00. Hallelujah! I was even able to shower and get dressed before Hal got out of bed. I walked into the playroom to find Ashley laughing at Hallie. Apparently she had tiptoed out of bed and ended up at the bathroom door gently tapping on it saying "Cuse me? Cuse me?" I guess she thought one of our guests might be using the bathroom and wanted to be polite. I have no idea where she got that from but it cracked me up and was a humorous way to start the day. I whipped up some pancakes and sausage for everyone that morning and once our bellies were full we wasted no time getting ready to do some shopping. While Ash got ready I was an onlooker as the pajama-clad girls played puzzles and got their color on.....


Hal was sweet and helped Jaley pick out just the right crayons and even took it upon herself to open the puzzles that she had picked out as a gift for her little friend....


Hallie took puzzle playing a tad bit too serious and proclaimed "I WIN!" once she had finished her's. I tried to break it to her gently that puzzling wasn't a race....

"Are you sure about that momma?"

Shoppin' sista


There was nothin' but love flowing through Hal's room. Tons of hugs and kisses going on after plenty of squirming and jumping on the bed.....



Jaley LOOOOOOOVED Lucy!

Ok, I can't take it. Too much. ;)


The four of us made it through one store.....ONE STORE!!! The minis didn't get the memo. But in all seriousness looking back I suppose we should consider that a success. The gals really enjoyed playing chase through the clothes racks and wanted nothing to do with us holding them. They were on the go!  Well, until naptime. I'll let you guess which little lady took a nap and which one messed around for a good two hours.....

On our way to the park with Zombie Hal

The bright-eyed gal on the left took a good one hour snooze while the gal on the right realized on the way to the park that afternoon that she probably should've taken that nap. She had that glazy-eyed look going on but managed to perk up once we pulled into the playground at Boiling Springs. It wasn't the warmest/prettiest day but we made the best of it. These two played their little hearts out and made their mommas happy by posing for a twinkie pic....


Hal braved the big tunnel slide by herself which was clearly a big accomplishment if you would've heard her going on and on about it.....

"Mommy!! I do it by myself!!!" (repeat that statement ten times) ;)

This mommy/daughter combo stayed warm by running/chasing around the playground....




Hal and I were both feeling the effects of a late bedtime and no nap once we finished swinging. The soothing rhythm almost put me to sleep...and her too.....

"Must. Stay. Awake. To. Play."



I figured it was high time to show our guests why Boiling Springs is called Boiling Springs. The girls watched the "boiling" for a bit while Hallie made it clear that she was less than impressed......

Pretty friends

"See ya later dudes!!"

My little gymnast had other things on her mind. Like balancing on anything and everything that had a ledge....




Walking on the "bowance bean"

Jaley and her momma joined in too!


Tellin' me all about it

Here was Miss I Don't Want to Take a Nap by the time we were done.....



On our way home the girls watched a video, Hal fell asleep and we decided to act like kids again. There is a rather interesting dinosaur structure on the main road through Woodward. I've been curious about it for awhile but Ashley was extra curious which ended us up in parking lot reading the "rules". The rules told us to "please sit on the baby dinosaur." So we did of course.....




Once home I tried to talk Hal into a little snooze but we all ended up out in the driveway for some chalking once I was certain that she had no intentions of napping. The girls showed off their artistic skills while I meticulously focused on my own project....



It was most definitely hood weather outdoors so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when Hallie was in and out, in and out, in and out of the house. She could not decide where she wanted to be....

"Jaley,take me to the park."

We had a relaxing evening eating some spaghetti pie and watching the girls play....


Once the minis had fallen fast asleep (which was very quick I might add) we spent the next couple of hours doing what we do best....remembering hilarious old stories and laughing at how ridiculous we were. Here is the part where I would love to share some embarrassing photos from our teenage years....however....my bangs are just too much to handle. A little too embarrassing. Or the ones where I thought it was cool to wear my retainer even when I didn't have to. Or how about the ones where we thought it was cute to go out in the snow in our bikinis. Ok fine, I'll share some......





The girls packed up and headed out around 8:30 Sunday morning before we left for church. We started missing them before they even had time to pull out of the driveway. Hal was asking "where Kadie?" all day long. I hated telling her that they "live far, far away" and so wish that they didn't. But we'll take what time we can get together. It's hard to describe how blessed I feel to have her back in my life....but this quote basically sums it all up. This is us.....

“It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson



P.S.- Mission "make the minis best friends" accomplished!










No comments:

Post a Comment