Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Colorful Weekend


Everybody needs a little COLOR in their life once in a while, right? Well that's what I thought when I first heard about Color Me Rad. "Where can I sign up!?!?!?!" My friend, Jai, clued me in on this gem of a 5K and I was pleased as punch when Riley agreed to run with me. Now if you know Riley then you realize he's not a big plan-ahead-er so this was kind of a big deal that he told me to go ahead and sign us up. I mean seriously, how can you look at the picture above and not want to get in on that color action!?!?! We will definitely be getting our color on next year and the year after that and the year after that. Here's the story of our weekend with lots of stuff packed tightly in three days!

Friday:
I had the morning at home with Hallie cleaning and baking to prepare for a playdate we were planning on having around noon. With some play-daters on vacation and one lil guy with a fever, we ended up cancelling our playtime. With all of our extra time we made a run to pick up The Muppet Movie and came back home to snuggle up for some down time. She insisted that we sit in her tiny Dora chairs to watch the movie instead of under the blanket on the couch. I can't say it was the most comfy spot in the house but it sure was the sweetest......



Riley got home from the gym around 1:00 and packed while I went into mommy overdrive mode making sure that all three of us were ready for the weekend. Hallie had a big night away ahead of her. It was her first  overnight stay in Enid. It's safe to say that if Grammy were still alive and well Hallie would've had quite a few overnight stays racked up by this point but my high maintenance girl has spared Gman and Aunt B the exhaustion from a day full of chasing and running and playing and making messes....UNTIL NOW. They were both so excited about her arrival. Gman had stocked up on her favorite food and snacks while Aunt B was ready for the first sleepover she was about to have with her niece. While they waited on her to arrive Hallie caught some zzzzz's in the truck....


Whereas BPT (before potty training) she would've just peed in her diaper and kept napping she was awoken by the urge to tinkle and started shouting to me "Momma!! Pee pee!!!" Good thing we brought that handy dandy potty chair and sat it conveniently beside her carseat....


She was a big fan of this whole potty on the road thing. In fact, she figured out quickly that she could get out of the carseat when she needed to potty so let's just say she had to go "pee pee" four times in about thirty minutes. ;) We made it to Enid around 3:30 and found Gman in the backyard blowing up her pool. While I unpacked all of her gear Hal supervised the filling process. God forbid his girl swim in a pool with cold water out of the garden hose....he lugged three huge buckets of warm bath water to get the temperature just right. Oh my!! That's love. Hallie had lots to say upon arriving....but everyone's favorite phrase seemed to be "woohoo party!!" Yep, that's right. She was ready to party! Aunt B and Aunt Lisa watched as she splashed around and practiced kicking her feet....



Hal and Gman took a dip together and passed the ball back and forth.....


I gave Aunt B the downlow on "Halcare" and made sure she was all set. Riley and I stuck around a bit longer than we'd planned. It's always hard to leave her but it made it easier seeing her have too much fun to even notice us. We were chopped liver compared to her surrounding fan club. She gave a very willing "bye bye" and we were off. We were in a hurry to get to OKC for dinner plans with Matt, Heather and Stephanie. We were on track to make it to dinner right on time. Well, that is until we pulled into Red Coyote to pick up our race packets. Holy Moses. I am sure the look on my face was a sight to see as I walked to get to the end of the line of people waiting to do the same thing. It seems that everyone else thought Friday night at the last minute would be a great time to pick up their packets as well. Who would've thunk it?!?!


I called Heather and gave her my bad news. There was no way we were going to get through the awful line and make it across town in time. Bummed. Bummed. Bummed. And on top of that I felt horrible because Riley had chosen our dinner location so I kept imagining them sitting at BJs wishing they had gone somewhere else to eat. Ok, maybe I was overthinking it but I hate breaking plans and had been looking forward to having a fun night with them. We stood in line for about fifty minutes and immediately got into Color Me Rad character once we got back to the car.....


First order of business: putting food in our bellies. We grabbed some enchiladas and drinks at La Cantina Loreda and then hopped next door to Dillards to do some birthday shopping for my favorite guy. He walked away with plenty of new work clothes for his birthday courtesy of Nanny. I have to admit I was starting to get the jitters and probably looked like someone having drug withdrawals as I walked through the mall telling myself that I couldn't spend a dime on myself or Hallie. Tough thing to do. Boy, talk about exercising self control. Shopping was all about Riley and it ended up being pretty fun. Mostly because he had fun.

Speaking of fun, this pink-clad lady was having the time of her life being spoiled to the max by my family....


She ate dinner and followed it up with some more swimming at Dara's....


Uncle S, Aunt B and Dara watched Ice Age inside with the little burrito once she got tired of swimming...


Dara gave Hal a bath and soon she was snoozing at B and Spencer's house. I got a good report from the little toot so I'm hoping she treated them well. From the looks of it fun was had by all. Meanwhile my rad husband and I were making plans for Color Me Rad and getting settled into our room at the Colcord. Gorgeous hotel and very homey. We snuggled in and picked a comedy to watch until it was midnight and we knew we had to go to bed if we were going to get up in the morning.


Saturday: Hallie has us spoiled lately with her 9:30 wake-ups so we were not big fans of the alarm being set for 7:00 on Saturday. We were up and ready to head to the fairgrounds around 8:00......


We pulled in to find the rest of Oklahoma dressed in white walking up to the start line. We hopped out and started to lock the doors when Riley asked me "babe, where are our race bibs??" Hmmm. About that. Oh no. I'm an idiot. Yes, that's right...I had left our race bibs at the hotel. Come to find out it really didn't even matter if we had them or not because the race was so laid back and so busy that nobody would've ever noticed but alas, we did return to the hotel to grab them. We joined the huge crowd and found our way toward the front of the group of people. We had to take the very important "before" pictures prior to getting color bombed.....



The race started right at 9:00 and we ended up going in the fourth "wave" of runners. The race was just as I'd expected....very free-spirited and sort of "whatever"....but I guess that's what made it so much fun. I can honestly say it's the only race I've ever run that didn't make me feel like throwing up from nerves. Riley was a speed demon for most of the race so I definitely got a good workout in. I think we finished right about 28 minutes and had a steady pace going. We were going slow enough though to take some pictures during the race between color stations.....



The race was amazing and fun and everything we'd expected! We got powdered with pink and blue and sprayed with yellow and green all the while weaving our way in and out of the crowds of people. It was a great 5K to do together because the competitive spirit was dialed down and we were able to talk the whole run. Nothing more bonding than sweating together. Oh yeah, and getting tie-dyed together....







We searched for a lot of our friends who were running the race but we didn't spot a single familiar face. We stuck around for a bit while I emptied my color packets on innocent runners who flew by. We made our way back to the car and headed to the hotel to get cleaned up/scrubbed off. It was a very fun/colorful morning!





Wouldn't ya know it?! While we were busy having fun that morning so was Hal! She proved me wrong and woke Aunt B up pretty early. My guess is that she just too excited to sleep. They did some reading and watched cartoons until Gman made breakfast for them. They made a fort which was ultimately named "Fort Chigger" after Gman's doggy....



She did a little swimming and riding in her car down the street with Gman before it was time for a nap. Aunt B had to say goodbye to get ready for a wedding she was going to that night. Just take a look at this smile and you can see just how much fun they had....


Oh yeah, and this smile too....


Back at the hotel we got plenty of crazy looks as we walked back up to our room. We looked like a couple of freaks but neither of us seemed to mind. A triple layer of soap and lots of scrubbing later we were both clean (mostly) and had returned to our normal color (mostly). We packed up and reluctantly said goodbye to our little getaway. But wait, we had a couple more stops to make before heading home. First stop: BJs. Since we didn't get to eat there the night before we made it a point to stuff our faces with pizza and burgers before we left OKC. After lunch we walked the aisles of Toys'R'us to pick out the perfect present for princess' upcoming birthday. It's hard to believe that in two short weeks she will be a two-year-old. I won't spill the beans on her big surprise now because you never know, she may be reading this....

Smarty pants

She was waking up right as we walked into Gman's house. She was pulling her usual "I'm going to make you pay for leaving me for the weekend" stunt that she always does. I keep thinking that this will fade as she gets older but she was definitely not happy with either of us. I think this special guy was the only person who was on her good side.....


We packed up the truck to the brim with some fresh corn and some meat from Gman as well as all of Hal's gear that barely fit. Gman and Hal said plenty of "bye bye"s and even gave a fist bump or two. We were so thankful that they all had a great day together and that she got to spend some alone time with my family. The ride home was fairly peaceful. Well, kinda. I heard approximately 2798 "momma"s and put her on her potty at least five times. Her ploy to escape but I'm a sucker I guess. Once we pulled in back home it wasn't long until we were loading back into the truck to take a trip out to the farm to check cows, say hi to great grandma Ida and gather up some old barn wood for a birthday party project. I couldn't help but snap a picture of my handsome farm boy walking in the tall grass with the sun sinking in the sky...


We picked up grandma Ida and all four of us headed across the highway to check the moo cows. We saw a goat on our way over to the field and Hallie even greeted him with a big "moooooo." Grandma Ida got a pretty big kick out of that. I finally got to see what all the big fuss was about Hallie driving on her own. Riley has told me about a few of their driving lessons that leave him in stitches and he wasn't kidding. She is hilarious behind the wheel and fearless to say the least. She not-so-politely removed Riley's hands from the wheel and said "no! me!" I guess she had it all covered....



They got out of the truck and searched for fishies in the stock tank....


Hal pounded on the piano a bit and played with a stuffed monkey that grandma Ida had hanging around back at her house. We chatted for a bit and then went out back to pick out some old barn wood. Let me tell ya, selecting barn wood is a complicated process if you are Riley Fanning. ;) The three of use said goodbye to Ida and headed home on what would be a very long thirty minutes of whining and fidgeting. I can't say I blame her because I was feeling the same way after a lot of driving that day. I was very proud of my girl that day. Hal used her potty like a pro all day long while on the road and at home. I think it's safe to say that she is fully potty trained during the day! Wahoo!!!! No accidents!!!!

Sunday: The three heathens were up early and ready to get back to church. We have been here and there and everywhere so attending church regularly has not been our strong suit since summer began. Shame, shame. We were anxious about seeing our new Sunday school class that morning as we had combined with another young class. It was a great crowd and nice to have a big group of familiar faces together. I couldn't help but snap a picture of my favorites looking all spiffed up that morning. They clean up quite well, dontcha think???


And I managed to sneak in a picture of my big girl and I because I thought we matched quite nicely....


On our way to church I looked back to find that Hal had tried on my Color Me Rad glasses. Looking good girlfriend!!

After church we did lots of relaxing. Well, these two did anway....


I did my regular Sunday chores and made the dreaded trip to Walmart. After nearly being proposed to in line by a man who wanted me to make him a casserole and some sweet tea and call him "baby", I made it home and have never been more glad. Lol! I'm not even kidding. Woodward Walmart = never a dull moment. I baked up some yummy cookies for Aunt Kylie and a couple of Koolaid pies for a Sunday school cookout at the Bouse's house later that afternoon. The day flew right by and it was soon time to get our party on. Hallie borrowed Lacy's ducky floaties and went for a dip in the pool with Riley....


It was an awesome gathering and a great chance to get to know new people. And did I mention that there was an entire counter full of desserts......


Hal (and I) had our fair share of treats and chatted it up with the girls in between numerous trips to the potty. I've realized that as a mom with a potty-trained babe it is nearly impossible to finish a conversation with someone because most time is spent running back and forth to the bathroom. I can't say it was the most relaxing evening because Hal kept us on our toes. I was thankful for the big kids who kept her entertained while we ate dinner. I'd say our class got off to a great combined start! :)

The next few weekends are about to get supremely busy and honestly I'm a little bit scared. We certainly did a great job at making the end of July head-spinning busy by making our anniversary one day before Riley's birthday and having a July baby with a birthday two days before our anniversary! JULY! JULY! JULY! This coming weekend is the rodeo and a family pool party so I'm on the hunt for toddler cowgirl boots and in full on party planning mode. Watch out world!!!!!!!!!!!!1





No comments:

Post a Comment